Discuss Car USB socket installation, excess wires. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’ve had a go at installing a USB dual socket in place of the factory fitted cigarette lighter in. VW Polo (2005). The old cigarette socket had three wires going into a connecter into the back. The new socket only has two terminals on the rear. How should i connect the new socket? Where should the third wire go, after connecting the live and the ground wires?

if you look at the existing smoke lighter, you should see a bulb stuck on the side like a wart.

Thanks for the replies. I originally did as suggested, but my new, after market car stereo kept overheating causing the sound to cut out once it got too hot. Since disconnecting the usb port and taping up the wires, the stereo has been fine. Any ideas?

Reply to Car USB socket installation, excess wires. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Once again I am using the Engineering chat as I think my question is more theoretical rather than 'diy advice'. If I am misusing the forum...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, New to the forum but hoping I can find a little help with my restoration project... I am adding a secondary wiring "system" to my...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I'm going to replace some sockets during a routine redecoration of our lounge including replacing some singles with doubles with USB...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm wondering if it's permitted to replace an outside wall light myself if I use the existing wiring from the old light. In theory I just...
Replies
Views
I had an interesting little job this morning. Three sockets in an extension were not working and haven't worked for quite some time (years). It...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock