Discuss Caravan and Camping Site - Diversity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys
I'm doing an EICR and making expansion proposals for a Caravan Site. This is for holiday not static caravans.

Simple question - how many 16 amp outlets can I have off a 63 Amp supply?

Currently 8 pitches are fed from a DB containing individual 16 Amp RCBOs, fed from a 63 amp supply. There is local earthing at the DB (as there should be). My client wants more!

Can't seem to find any advice on this.

Thanks

Pete

Schneider Electric have quite a good Electrical Installation Guide and I think there was guidelines for diversity in that.

Just type Schneider electrical installation guide into Google and you should find it.

Schneider Electric have quite a good Electrical Installation Guide and I think there was guidelines for diversity in that.

Just type Schneider electrical installation guide into Google and you should find it.
Hi Andy
Had a look. Not very helpful. Need specific guidance. What power do you assume one caravan uses? What power do you assume 10 caravans use? Appendix A in the On-Site Guide doesn't cover this application.

This would have to be on a case by case basis as the style of caravan and the equipment installed would be very variable.
Unfortunately with a holiday caravan the users tend to plug in everything that they can and then moan when the circuit trips.
At the moment you have a potential 128A on a 63A supply which would seem to be about as far as you could go with diversity.
Unfortunately I do not know of any specific guidance available but there is bound to be some somewhere.

Place I test has mostly 28 hook ups, some with 32 pitches on 10A or 16A MCB plus RCD (older style hook ups) on a 63A three phase breaker - giving approximately 12 pitches per phase with no problems normally.

Hi, typically a DNO allows a diversified domestic load of 2kw per property, that's for a house. A previous poster has suggested 12no. Units per 63a. This would seem sensible given the advise in caravan club leaflet. Assume all plots occupied on a cold summer evening. Personnaly I would base loadings on caravan guide wattages and apply diversity from iet installation guide and see what that gives you. Let us know what you calculate / decide. Remember a 63a device will allow a signification overload for short periods and keep an eye on the cable sizes, especially if running under the ground.

Thanks guys for all your replies. At the Caravan and Camping Club, I understand that they use a figure of 2KW per pitch for all year sites and 1.5KW for seasonal sites. This fits nicely with the installation I'm dealing with. On some of their bigger and high occupancy sites they are now having to put in larger supplies, especially as more caravans have much more electrical equipment such as microwaves and larger heaters.
The choice is NO discrimination, which is unacceptably practically onerous and expensive and is not what is done in practice, or to follow guidance or best practice. It seems impossible to calculate the diversity for this situation. I'm therefore happy to follow best practice, though I can see that this can change based, I guess, on experience of nuisance tripping of the main circuit breaker.

Reply to Caravan and Camping Site - Diversity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock