Discuss Caravan diversity question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What allowance for diversity, if any, would you apply to caravan hookup sockets?

The circuit will have just one hookup point, with two 16A sockets. It's a fair distance from the CU, so voltage drop is going to be significant. It would be good to keep the cable CSA down if feasible.

I'm in the design stages/site preparation of something similar, but for four points.
Each point has a 16 interlocked, switched socket protected by a 10A type C RCBO, and I've allowed 24A as the design current.
The only long term heavy load likely to be drawn by a touring caravan is the electric space heating, which is usually 2kW max.

What is the distance of cable you need and where is the TT, at source or at the hook up point.

Creating TT at the pitch means you are going to have to enclose the gland/armour but not impossible. That distance you are looking at 10.0 for 20A and 16.0 for 32A and this is for volt drop and doesn't take into account fault protection. You will also have selectively issues if you use a circuit breaker at source.

Is the type C (rather than type B) RCBO important? Might make selectivity difficult if I use C's at the business end.
The problem arises when someone decides to boil an electric kettle when the toaster/microwave/space heating is already on.
A 10A type C will likely survive this, whereas a 10A B might trip on the magnetic.
This is based on many years of caravanning, rather than anything theoretical, and not everyone on holiday carries the wide selection of electrical cabinet keys that I do.

Creating TT at the pitch means you are going to have to enclose the gland/armour but not impossible.
I'm planning to bring the SWA into the hookup enclosure via plastic compression gland, cut the armour flush with the sheath, and SA tape over the tips of the armour.

That distance you are looking at 10.0 for 20A and 16.0 for 32A and this is for volt drop and doesn't take into account fault protection.
I should be able to meet disconnection times for the 10mm 2C SWA, if I use an upstream B32 (using R1+R2 of 0.00783 at 20deg).
You will also have selectively issues if you use a circuit breaker at source.
I'm no expert on selectivity, it's almost never an issue for the type of work I usually do, but I can see the need to get it right in this instance. The general rule of thumb I was taught was 2:1 for breakers, so I figured a B32 upstream, and B16 downstream would do it. Do you think this won't work?

Not done the calculations but have you considered 4 core 6mm? Parallel conductors may help reduce vd without costing a fortune.
Actually, I can just about scrape through on voltage drop if I use 3 core 6mm, and double up on either the L or the N. I have no idea if this is permitted by regs though, doubling up on just one of the live conductors?

I'll probably use 10mm anyway, as it gives me a large VD allowance, and there's talk of additional lighting and an electric gate.

The problem arises when someone decides to boil an electric kettle when the toaster/microwave/space heating is already on.
A 10A type C will likely survive this, whereas a 10A B might trip on the magnetic.
This is based on many years of caravanning, rather than anything theoretical, and not everyone on holiday carries the wide selection of electrical cabinet keys that I do.
This is very useful to know.

So if I use B16's to protect the sockets, the lower limit for current to operate the magnetic trip should be 3X16 = 48A. For C10's, 5X10=50A. Pretty close, both should survive similar short term overload/inrush?

But for upper limits, B16 is 5X16=80A, vs C10 10X10 =100A. I can see selectivity with the upstream device being an issue if I use C10s?

I'm also working on a completely separate caravan project, that needs a single 32A supply. Cable calcs showed that 10mm2 wasn't quite big enough, but 6mm2 4C, doubled up, would just be adequate.
In the end, for the sake of just under £200 extra, I went for 16mm2 and have done with it.

Reply to Caravan diversity question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net