uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Carbon Monoxide detector required? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Working at a house this week & they’ve just installed a log burner in the living room, the metal flue goes up the inside of the existing chimney breast. I know there is a Carbon Monoxide detector required in the living room, but the breast & flue also runs through a bedroom in the room above the living room, although it’s been framed & sheeted. Am I correct in saying I need a Carbon Monoxide detector in this room as well?

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Are you basically saying, the room above with the chimney breast? Can the HETAS registered installers that put the burner in advise? They won’t sign off without the correct alarms.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
I think it only relates to the room the appliance is installed. The flue should be installed correctly & tested, to ensure it’s not leaking.

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
and why not put a detector in the room above, where the flue passes through?
I did, it was my daughter's room, and a poorly installed flue leaked...
cheap way to save life, imho.

Believe they need yearly inspections now. I’m sure someone in that line of work can advise. If the customer is not planning to have it regularly checked for peace of mind may be worth doing. My brothers Victorian London house was getting fumes from his next door neighbour into his kids bedroom, that was picked up by his gas man who was working in the landing cupboard for gas boiler. His alarm kept going off and went into overdrive when he went closer to the room.thankfully at night the door was always left open they believe that’s what saved his kids. At that point he had only been living in the house a few days. Since then we are always mindful of what could have happened. Neighbours was a rental and owner always did stuff on the cheap.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
and why not put a detector in the room above, where the flue passes through?
I did, it was my daughter's room, and a poorly installed flue leaked...
cheap way to save life, imho.
Fair point.

But a chimney liner should be properly installed and tested by Hetas installer, in the first place.

The detector should be positioned a set distance from the log burner, to detect gasses not being properly vented via the installed flue, i.e. it’s leaking from the log burner not going up the flue. I’m not sure it’s going to detect much from a punctured liner, then through the chimney breast. But then I’m no expert.

Reply to Carbon Monoxide detector required? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom