Discuss Career change at 23, electrician advice (Glasgow)? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have been reading threads on this site for a while now and thought I would get my bit in. I'm 23 years old and with the time off work due to the current situation it's gave me time to think of my career and where I actually want to be in years to come iv not long got a mortgage and have had a clear head on past few years. I notice a lot of people struggle to secure apprenticeships even ones with years of experience as a mate or have related qualifications etc, my main question is for someone with no related experience or certificates can adult apprenticeship come around or am I clutching straws? I have applied for the SECTT assessment, unsure when that date will be because COVID, but that seems to be the go-to for anyone who is looking for apprenticeship. Any feedback is good feedback thanks for reading ?

your main problem will be that you can't survive on apprenticeship wages. night school at a local college for the 2356 followed by NVQ3 and AM2 is a possible route to qualification while remaining in work daytime. after year 1, try and get some practical experience working as a mate. dependent on your current employment whether you can get the time.

your main problem will be that you can't survive on apprenticeship wages. night school at a local college for the 2356 followed by NVQ3 and AM2 is a possible route to qualification while remaining in work daytime. after year 1, try and get some practical experience working as a mate. dependent on your current employment whether you can get the time.

thanks for reply, I know the money with becoming an apprentice would be pretty low but I have worked out the numbers and can financially afford it as I share the mortgage with my misses and I can get some afternoon work or weekend if needed the extra cash it's not ideal but I'm willing to sacrifice luxury for a few years.. I have looked at some college courses but I think just now would be attempt to get an apprenticeship so can go all in on the job and not one night per week is preferred. I seen some paid courses but a lot of mixed feelings towards it because of such short training to get a qualification it could be dangerous and I see people saying this also.

Get into accounting instead, more money in it and you can work from home should you need to for some reason.
Cheers for reply, I'm more of a hands on physical working guy I think being stuck doing numbers on a computer all day would frustrate me to be honest, tried call centre years ago and didn't click. Il keep accounting in mind though if all else fails mate thanks ?

I was a semi-late starter being twenty when my apprenticeship began. I didn't have a mortgage but was renting & managed to cope between savings and the missus' income. This included the addition of our first child somewhere through second year!

I think being slightly older and willing to work "from the bottom" can only be seen as a strong point. You will be (should be :p) more mature than younger apprentices, less phone-orientated and will have a stronger CV to back yourself up.

I was a semi-late starter being twenty when my apprenticeship began. I didn't have a mortgage but was renting & managed to cope between savings and the missus' income. This included the addition of our first child somewhere through second year!

I think being slightly older and willing to work "from the bottom" can only be seen as a strong point. You will be (should be :p) more mature than younger apprentices, less phone-orientated and will have a stronger CV to back yourself up.
That's good to hear mate hopefully Il be in similar situation to you (minus the Prodigy in second year ?). Yeah that's my thoughts also being older we should know what we want rather than being a kid with no clue, and I'm as mature as can be ??.
Cheers for taking time to write up.
[automerge]1586422572[/automerge]
Have a look at the wind industry, they are often looking for practical guys that they can train up as turbine techs.
I know someone who is in the wind industry and it's not most appealing to me, do a lot of travelling about with training etc and even afterwards I'm sure. And I know I said I'm hands on but climbing 300ft up the side of a windmill isn't my cuppa ? cheers for the suggestion though bud I'm open to suggestions from anyone obvcourse as might land on my job till retirement but electrician still stands in top spot.

Last edited:

Reply to Career change at 23, electrician advice (Glasgow)? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock