Discuss Career Change at 38 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of City & Guilds Level 2 & 3. I did my first 5 weeks of training which included 18th Edition, Part P, Domestic installation workshop and Inspection and Testing 2392. I have a break in learning till August 12 and been looking for any work experience I can get.
I noticed that all electrician mate jobs ask for experience if that's the case, how do I start work in the industry after completing this course?

Do everything and anything you can think of to pimp yourself out; CVs and business cards at wholesalers, Facebook, good old fashioned yellow pages/Thomson local cold calling, offering labour for free, doing work for friends and family (they pay parts, your labour is free on condition they give you evidence (take pictures of you working, client feedback etc).

Pimp your house (but do it safely); replace sockets, install CAT6 for "future proofing", renew bonding conductors etc, in short everything short of notifiable work and get evidence; pictures, witness statements (just make sure the other half is in a good mood).

You get the idea, if no-one will give you the chance to gain experience them you have to get it yourself; I can't imagine there'd be any shame in doing some work at home, posting it on here and asking for feedback, critiques, recommendations, it should still count.

Going back to when I did my apprenticeship my parents told every Tom dick and Harry they knew that I was learning the trade.
i got loads of offers to do jobs for people who were happy to let me practice on their house if rate was Very cheap price.
not so easy now due to partPee but still lots of non notifable work you can do.

Reply to Career Change at 38 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net