Discuss Career change - Electrician training - view to emigrate to cananda in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

capo

I have been living in working in Asia for the last 6 years and considering a career change. I will turn 30 next year

I want to train as an electrician. I was thinking about taking an intensive course and then gaining some on the job experience with a view of applying for a work visa 1 to 2 years later. Any thoughts on this approach? Is it even possible to gain enough qualifications in that time to qualify as an electrician eligable to emigrate. I understand once I get there i will need further qualifications to meet the difference in standards.

Anyone know if it is possible to do all the training in Canada itself to avoid those hurdles or would it be best to train in the uk first.

2 things also to note in the UK I can stay at my dads house for free while i train (even though I have not lived there since i was 18, i still have my own bedroom haha). However, I also have friends in Canada I may also be able to work something out with but probably on a less cushy deal. Although money is not so much the issue I can afford to support myself for a year studying with no income if need be.

It seems college courses mostly take a very long time and cater to more to the young, correct me if i am wrong. Apprenticeships for my age almost unheard of, again correct me if im wrong. I will be very dedicated and hard working training I just don't want to spend half my 30s doing it. while i appreciate after taking a course I won't be able to just jump into any job, i will need plenty of practical experience, is possible to get that abroad or must i have it before??

Any advice for my prediciment will be much appreciated, thank you.

Your best bet is to contact the Canadian Embassy and find out exactly what is required as far as practicing as an electrician in Canada along with the possibilities of training in or out of the country. No-matter what qualifications you manage to gain in the UK, you will still need to go through the loops of compliance and registering in Canada.

You obviously haven't heard of the old saying which is more relevant today than it's ever been, and that is '' Go East young Man and stay there for as long as possible!!!'' The West is all but buggered and will be for at least another 10 to 15 years. Asia is where it's all happening these day's and where any fortunes are going to be made!!

So think long and hard about Cold Canada, as opposed to an area of the world you're already familiar with!! lol!!
What sort of work were you doing in Asia (and where) as a matter of interest??

if you want to work in canada , then its best to train in canada.

as a side note , men outnumber chicks 3 to 1 so i hope youre not looking for a wife as the dating scene usually involves bearded men with lumberjack shirts :-D

as a side note , men outnumber chicks 3 to 1 so i hope youre not looking for a wife as the dating scene usually involves bearded men with lumberjack shirts :-D

I hear there are also some bearded women with Lumberjack shirts, so it's a 1 in 3 chance of success if you're prepared to take the risk..

if you want to work in canada , then its best to train in canada.

Yet another good reason for staying in Asia!! lol!! Women are also real women in that part of the world too, and not generally built like double decker buses either!! lol!!

Reply to Career change - Electrician training - view to emigrate to cananda in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net