Discuss Career Change to an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

benlester

Hi

I am currently in human resources and am going to be made redundant. I am looking to use this opportunity to re-train as an electrician. I will be learning from scratch but want to do an extensive full time course so I am up and running asap.

I have spoken with New Career Skills and I am interested. Does anyone have any feedback on them or a better route to train? They have told me that with a lot of hard work I can be up and running in 6-8 months and then be in a postion to do my own jobs and run my own electrician business. Can anyone provide me with any advice on this company or any others?

Thanks

hello ben this often comes up and as an electrician that did a 4 and a half year apprenticeship it still baffles me that people can train in such a short time.
having said that times change:)
be sure to get all the qualifications an employer will want a list of which im sure someone else will provide as course numbers have changed scince i did mine.
good luck

Hi Ben,

New Career Skills will give you the basic qualifications to work in a domestic capacity. This means that you would only be qualified to work in dwellings that are lived in already. What isn't so obvious to a potential new student is that, they would not be able to work on new construction housing projects that require you to posses a ECS/CSCS card. The JIB would not recognise your qualifications so would not issue you with a card. This is where the confusion lies, a full scope domestic installer course doesn't explain in full.

New Career Skills would give you the following qualifications:

2382 17th Edition
2392 Fundamental testing
Eal Level 2 Domestic installer
A basic first aid certificate

£6000 in my oppinion is a lot of money for the above which can be obtained through other providers for about £2000. This is my honest oppinion and advise you to research as much as possible. As a lot of the guys on here will tell you, employers would be looking for:

2330 level2/3
NVQ Level 3
AM2
2391 c&g

The above would give you the qualifications to be recognised by the JIB and obtain the ECS/CSCS card and the competence to work in Domestic/commercial and industrial enviroments. Your opportunities for work have just increased from 25% of the work to 100%.

Just my oppinion

Mark

hi ben
was a similar postiton to you 3 years ago, got made redundant, wanted to retrain, as a mature student. I was thinking about going down that route, but was put off by the price and time scale. how can you learn everything you need to in such a short time, the just teach you to pass exams. I decided to go to evening college, 2 nights aweek. Luckily got taken on, by a local firm as an adult trainee. Dont get me wrong its hard going, if like me you have a familly, but am coming to the end of my level 3 now, doing my 17th and my 2391, hopefully start my nvq in september. I think going to college in my opinion is a better start, and i am sure the pro's will back me up when i say you cant beat the (real world) experiance. BEST OF LUCK MATE.

hi ben
was a similar postiton to you 3 years ago, got made redundant, wanted to retrain, as a mature student. I was thinking about going down that route, but was put off by the price and time scale. how can you learn everything you need to in such a short time, the just teach you to pass exams. I decided to go to evening college, 2 nights aweek. Luckily got taken on, by a local firm as an adult trainee. Dont get me wrong its hard going, if like me you have a familly, but am coming to the end of my level 3 now, doing my 17th and my 2391, hopefully start my nvq in september. I think going to college in my opinion is a better start, and i am sure the pro's will back me up when i say you cant beat the (real world) experiance. BEST OF LUCK MATE.

hi there

i found myself in this position in the early 1990s got right up to c course only to find the no experience barrier had to take a job as a caretaker at a local nursing home.:mad::mad:

Then got talking to some guys servicing the boilers done a few favours and got a job and have not looked back since.:D:D

But i really do understand where you guys are coming from even if you do spend 6k on training where are the jobs??:confused:

If i was 21 again lololol :D

i would consider going somewhere else oz or new zealand :rolleyes:

Gentleman may i wish you all good luck for the future in what ever this life throws at us all

Cheers:):)

Reply to Career Change to an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net