Discuss Career change to Electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Noob

-
Reaction score
Hi, I work as an accountant in Manchester. I’m interested in starting electrician training and working alongside my studies, obviously leaving my current job to do so!

I’m wondering where to start with this. The training looks expensive and apprenticeships don’t pay much at all. I’m prepared to take a pay cut to retrain in a new career but I need to be able to live on what I earn.

Are there companies who would put you through the qualifications?

Is there anyone here who has made a career change? How did you do it?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Speak to your local technical college, they offer evening courses in electrical installation theory. The most important part is gaining the practical experience and that takes years and there is no short cut despite what these private training companies will try and tell/sell you.

Go for it if you are keen ,and understand circuits .(but there is alot more competion driving prices down.)
(Check local competiton out - My local mate is becoming a mechanic !)

Hi,you need to be absolutely sure,this is the path to follow,because although it is perfectly possible,there will be no quick or well paid routes,to bypass what is required.

Me missus has worked in the finance world,all her life,and is now based city centre Mcr.

If she wanted to be a spark...i would have to take the draught excluder to her...:)

(No FPA employees,were hurt,in the making of the above jest:))

Hi,you need to be absolutely sure,this is the path to follow,because although it is perfectly possible,there will be no quick or well paid routes,to bypass what is required.

Me missus has worked in the finance world,all her life,and is now based city centre Mcr.

If she wanted to be a spark...i would have to take the draught excluder to her...:)

(No FPA employees,were hurt,in the making of the above jest:))

Haha thanks!

I’m heading along to a local college to find out more. This will be a massive decision, so I’m definitely wanting to get all the facts/opinions I can.

Speak to your local technical college, they offer evening courses in electrical installation theory. The most important part is gaining the practical experience and that takes years and there is no short cut despite what these private training companies will try and tell/sell you.

Thanks, that’s what I’m planning on doing. I don’t mind it taking time to learn, so long as I feel I’m progressing somewhere.

The only sure thing about the future , is we will have been thru more jobs .(Job for life is gone)- May find the job that is bearable. Another mate was doing recovery work -but it turned into "Sales"-he developed a conscience, and moved on. Big company lies .

Your mad keep at your job as an accountant.

The electrician game has been destroyed in this country wages are roughly what they were 20 years ago (subcontracting) I was earning more in the late 90's than I am now. And 20 years ago fuel was cheaper beer was cheaper and the general cost of living was alot cheaper so in fact sparks are worse off then ever.

Hi, what qualifications did you need for the accountancy position,and how long did these take to achieve?

Also,what was it,that gave you the inclination towards electrical work?

Just building up a picture,to assist any further advice.:)

Reply to Career change to Electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net