Discuss Career change...What would be the best way of starting out at 35? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im 35 years old and currently work in the oil and gas industry as a drainage surveyor and have done so for the past 10 years. Ive become really bored of my job and looking for a route into the electrical industry. Basically at a young age I got into a job that was paying well and still does but I have no interest in it. After high school I tried to get an electrical apprenticeship but was unlucky at the time. I had alot of interest in the subject at that age and I still do, so Ive decided I dont want to spend the next 30 years working in a job I dont like. I can afford to take a long term cut in wages with the view that in 5 years or so I'll be earning again.

Can anyone offer any advice on the best route to take? I was accepted for an HNC in electrical engineering, is this more of an industrial related qualification? Would I be best trying to get a job as a sparks mate then trying to gain qualifications through SECTT or similar?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

My only advice is to change your username. We’ll have to start calling disaster prone homeowners to DIY DAVE

sorry. I’m not much help with current routes into the industry, but someone will be along shortly.

The above link describes the industry accepted routes into being an electrician. Sure by all means get a mate job or improver assisting a spark. Put an ad in the local wholesalers looking for work etc. In fact qualifications and work experience are vital to hit that entry point, like a horse and cart, one does not work without the other. The above link describes entry as domestic and commercial electrician. I have a trainee with me at the moment and enquired about her joining the scheme under my registration. I mentioned her qualifications achieved on a short (expensive!) course with a promise of £30k p.a. The scheme dismissed her qualifications as nothing and would not accept them. She had a 2392 level 3 and 2391-01. I was quite surprised. But then they change the goalposts so rapidly it is hard to keep up sometimes. So be very careful about your choice of entry and qualifications and define a clear route into the industry and don't be palmed off with the promise of great riches which will not gain you entry. Forewarned is forearmed. Look carefully before you leap.

Im 35 years old and currently work in the oil and gas industry as a drainage surveyor and have done so for the past 10 years. Ive become really bored of my job and looking for a route into the electrical industry. Basically at a young age I got into a job that was paying well and still does but I have no interest in it. After high school I tried to get an electrical apprenticeship but was unlucky at the time. I had alot of interest in the subject at that age and I still do, so Ive decided I dont want to spend the next 30 years working in a job I dont like. I can afford to take a long term cut in wages with the view that in 5 years or so I'll be earning again.

Can anyone offer any advice on the best route to take? I was accepted for an HNC in electrical engineering, is this more of an industrial related qualification? Would I be best trying to get a job as a sparks mate then trying to gain qualifications through SECTT or similar?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Dan welcome to the forum and if you have a chance to get in to engineering you go for it. Electrical work is hard and frustrating , you will have to work at all hours of the night and when you get home you will be wore out plus fighting the elements, and dealing with unruly people. Get paid for what you know not what you can do. Good luck

Maintenance electrician ?
I'd be happy to get into any area but I realise getting a position in an industrial site as a trainee might be a bit of a struggle even with an HNC as is age against me starting in a new career.
[automerge]1582311844[/automerge]
Yes electrical maintenance for 11 years. Then went to work for a electrical contractor for 18 years working in manufacturing companies and got my masters electrical license in 2005

Well done! Sounds like you have a vast experience...can I get a job? ?

Do you know of anyone that's made a switch later in life to your industry and it worked out?
[automerge]1582312078[/automerge]
The above link describes the industry accepted routes into being an electrician. Sure by all means get a mate job or improver assisting a spark. Put an ad in the local wholesalers looking for work etc. In fact qualifications and work experience are vital to hit that entry point, like a horse and cart, one does not work without the other. The above link describes entry as domestic and commercial electrician. I have a trainee with me at the moment and enquired about her joining the scheme under my registration. I mentioned her qualifications achieved on a short (expensive!) course with a promise of £30k p.a. The scheme dismissed her qualifications as nothing and would not accept them. She had a 2392 level 3 and 2391-01. I was quite surprised. But then they change the goalposts so rapidly it is hard to keep up sometimes. So be very careful about your choice of entry and qualifications and define a clear route into the industry and don't be palmed off with the promise of great riches which will not gain you entry. Forewarned is forearmed. Look carefully before you leap.

Thank for that info. Did the fact your trainee done some courses on her own behalf make it more appealing for you to hire her? Is this the most favourable route to take or would it be best to get a position as a mate and try to gain a trainee position?

Last edited:
My only advice is to change your username. We’ll have to start calling disaster prone homeowners to DIY DAVE

sorry. I’m not much help with current routes into the industry, but someone will be along shortly.

Cheers for the advice. Not had too many disaster yet but I do keep the mrs on standby with a fire extinguisher just incase! ?

Did the fact your trainee done some courses on her own behalf
Not in the least bit. As far as I am concerned she had level 3 qualies and seemed very keen to get some experience actually doing work. I have had a few trainees come and go. The gulf between the theory and practice is massive. For instance I asked the latest to check the bonding and report to me what the situation was in a house. Half an hour and having looked at it five times she said she could not find it. This exercise was to illustrate a nice diagram in a classroom and translating it in the real world requires some thought and application of the known theory. I would say if you are lucky you can start getting experience even without qualies.

Not in the least bit. As far as I am concerned she had level 3 qualies and seemed very keen to get some experience actually doing work. I have had a few trainees come and go. The gulf between the theory and practice is massive. For instance I asked the latest to check the bonding and report to me what the situation was in a house. Half an hour and having looked at it five times she said she could not find it. This exercise was to illustrate a nice diagram in a classroom and translating it in the real world requires some thought and application of the known theory. I would say if you are lucky you can start getting experience even without qualies.

I wasn't sure if getting quals would help my chances of getting a position of some sort. Thats good to know, great advice. Very much appreciated ?

Do what makes you happy pal- if you can afford to take a dip in earnings while training then so be it in hope for a better future. The only way to find out is to give it a go, the worst that can happen is that it doesn't plan out ( well or being zapped) but you'll only kick yourself for the next decade if you don't try it and it's what you really want to do.

Am 32 and just starting my level 2, got a wife, 3 kids, a Lego and shiny tool habit and holding down at 15hr job in a call centre, income could be better, as could my health (disabled) but I set myself a 5-7 year goal to get to AM2/NVQ level and damn it Im gonna get there - want the kids to get a trade later in life then figured I should be an example to follow, chances are something will go wrong somewhere but you don't know if you don't try.

Urea might get to thepapers nd no bugger takes me on but by the end I should have the knowledge to take a stab at self employment, if not then I just have a really useful life skil.

Wondering if I was to go ahead with the HNC in Electrical Engineering and was unable to get any type of technician or industrial job would it be enough to get a position as a trainee for domestic or commercial without doing the level 2? Is the level 2 strictly for domestic and commercial buildings?

Wondering if I was to go ahead with the HNC in Electrical Engineering and was unable to get any type of technician or industrial job would it be enough to get a position as a trainee for domestic or commercial without doing the level 2? Is the level 2 strictly for domestic and commercial buildings?

Your 2365 L1-L3 are essentially the fundamentals; Electrical Science, Electrical Installation, H&S and I&T. I believe City & Guilds have a route that recognises pre-existing knowledge and competence but couldn't tell you more than that I'm afraid.

Reply to Career change...What would be the best way of starting out at 35? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net