Discuss Career choice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tigerpaul

-
Arms
Reaction score
My boss has asked me about my future plans. Do I want to become more of an electrical designer / engineer or do I want to go down the project management route?
What further education would I be interested in?

Thinking about these 2 paths I am not sure what the pros and cons are of each and which is more suitable for me.

I'm asking the older and the more experienced guys on this forum what they have done and how it turned out for them.

Very much depends as to what levels were talking about here??

But to be proficient in Project Management you will need a good grounding in design anyway, to be able to undertake design reviews of submitted contractors drawings... Which by the way, i'm currently plowing through at the moment ...lol!!!

i would of thought going down the design road first would be better as has been said it will lead on to project management good luck your lucky you have a choice

For me they go hand in hand to be honest, most small to medium sized company I know, and the same here. The project manager is also the designer, estimator and contracts manager.

Haha, how I would love to be just a project manager, its the estimating and the design that I don't want.

Edit: Ok some times the design is taken care of by others, but rarely is the estimating and management

Thanks for the input guys.
I work for a smallish firm, 20 blokes, we do all kinds of building work, only 6 of us do electrical.

The management don't really have anyone electrical minded so it's generally up to a couple of us to sort out the jobs, working out materials and estimating the amount of time and men to complete each project.

Does anyone know of any courses which would be of benefit? The only one which springs to mind is the HNC in Electrical Engineering, but would that help me in the management side of the business? Or is there something else which would be better?

I have to mull over it this weekend before I meet with the company owner next Wednesday..

If you wanted to head down the project manager route then there are courses on contract management etc albeit not a hnc etc. I fell into it as a natural progression from electrician to foreman to junior contracts manager to project manager route. then set up on my own on the tools, then recently due to getting tied of the self employed route went back to contract management.

Ultilmately what do you prefer? To design a job from the ground up or to run a job that's already been designed and costed? Although as I said previously you would probably end up doing a fair bit of estimating and design within a PM role.

If work are willing to pay then a hnc is always a good thing

Both design and management appeal to me however with the company I currently work for, management seems to be more likely.

The design of the projects has so far been done by other firms and then we get to tender for them.

That's where they look to me for estimates for time and materials and I get to pick a figure out of the air.

Whether they want to move into designing jobs or not I don't know, but it would be interesting.

Has anyone here done the HNC?

Reply to Career choice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock