Discuss Career help and advice needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice. I came to the electrical trade a bit later than most. I started my C&G 2357 (NVQ L3 & AM2) in my early thirties. 3 and a half years at college and passed no problem. The vast majority of my work experience during my time at college was domestic based, with little bits of commercial, but mostly domestic. I've since gone on to obtain my 2391, 18th ed, C&G 2919 Ev charging, IPAF etc and have my JIB Gold card. I've been working for myself for about 3 years now and I'm looking to get away from domestic. Tired of working for letting agents etc in dirty hell holes. I'm looking to get into commercial site work, but my experience is very limited. I haven't really touched metal containment since college or used proper drawings since then (I use kitchen plans etc but that's about it.) Has anyone got any advice on what I could do? Thanks in advance!!

go for any jobs you fancy. Blag it on the experience. . gold card will get you over the first hurdles
Few people have said that to me, I just hate the thought of going on site and someone asking me to do something,and then looking back at them with a rather blank expression on my face.
go for any jobs you fancy. Blag it on the experience. . gold card will get you over the first hurdles

Putting up some tray or running in some galv tube really isn't that difficult. As Tel says a Gold Card will get you on most big sites

Few people have said that to me, I just hate the thought of going on site and someone asking me to do something,and then looking back at them with a rather blank expression on my face.
answer to that is that you not done any of "that" for ages, and "is there a more modern way"? as dusty sez, tray is just a bit of metal and some anchors. galv tube a bit more diffy. always rem. that a poorly bent bit of tube can be re-used as a shorter bit. (and there's always a skip handy)

I'm even looking on eBay etc for a set of conduit benders so I can start getting some practice in.
that's a good idea. when i first went bending i used to bend the tube about 6" longer over what i thought, then cut and thread to fif.

Reply to Career help and advice needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net