• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Career path question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jjb853

-
Trainee
Reaction score
So I'll give you a brief catch-up, I will be starting college next month and contacted a lot of sparks,companies about work etc I managed to have a chat with a lighting company that does floodlights, streetlights, schools, football stadiums etc. They have offered me work one day a week around my current job whilst I study, which is great, but I just wanted some opinions on which route to go. The company that has offered me the work does everything from making the lights in house, to fitting, to maintenance on site e.g during matchs have people on site in case they go down. They also do maintenence in house on machinery, general office maintenance etc. Basically what I am yet to decide is to what sector to look at, whether to do the actual site work, installing and maintaining the products, would potentially all over the UK and even internationally at times which is no issue, or to go for more the maintenance side of things in house such as the machinery, systems etc or even to the actual workshop side of things, creating the lights, boxes etc and getting them ready for installs. In your honest opinion which one do you think would be more beneficial to do long term?

So I'll give you a brief catch-up, I will be starting college next month and contacted a lot of sparks,companies about work etc I managed to have a chat with a lighting company that does floodlights, streetlights, schools, football stadiums etc. They have offered me work one day a week around my current job whilst I study, which is great, but I just wanted some opinions on which route to go. The company that has offered me the work does everything from making the lights in house, to fitting, to maintenance on site e.g during matchs have people on site in case they go down. They also do maintenence in house on machinery, general office maintenance etc. Basically what I am yet to decide is to what sector to look at, whether to do the actual site work, installing and maintaining the products, would potentially all over the UK and even internationally at times which is no issue, or to go for more the maintenance side of things in house such as the machinery, systems etc or even to the actual workshop side of things, creating the lights, boxes etc and getting them ready for installs. In your honest opinion which one do you think would be more beneficial to do long term?
Can't really advise on which career path to take Mate, but in todays employment climate I would take this companies offer up, You may like it, you may not, but work is experience however you look at it, it's only 1 day a week whilst you study, bite their hands off and go for it, there aren't that many offers like the one you have, going today.

Yeah cheers mate, I have already accepted the offer. Just trying establish which route to go, they did say they are happy for me to do a little bit of everything and then go from there. Just wanted to know from experience what everyone thinks might be the better long term career.

Yeah cheers mate, I have already accepted the offer. Just trying establish which route to go, they did say they are happy for me to do a little bit of everything and then go from there. Just wanted to know from experience what everyone thinks might be the better long term career.
I never had that sort of choice Mate, just did my Apprenticeship and went from there, things are different nowadays, I realise, like I said you may like the work you won't know until you try.
It's a day a week, if it's not for you then thank them very much for the chance, and leave, take the opportunity to earn a bit whilst you are training, another offer may come along. you never know.

I never had that sort of choice Mate, just did my Apprenticeship and went from there, things are different nowadays, I realise, like I said you may like the work you won't know until you try.
It's a day a week, if it's not for you then thank them very much for the chance, and leave, take the opportunity to earn a bit whilst you are training, another offer may come along. you never know.

Yeah agreed, I must admit I am very priviliged and grateful to them for the offer, I have been trying to get an opportunity like this for some time to be honest, so glad my perserverance and sometimes annoyance paid off. I will just take it as it comes and go from there.

Yeah agreed, I must admit I am very priviliged and grateful to them for the offer, I have been trying to get an opportunity like this for some time to be honest, so glad my perserverance and sometimes annoyance paid off. I will just take it as it comes and go from there.
Good Man, something extra for your CV as well, good luck whatever choice or path you decide on.

It doesn't have to be either/or, consider doing site-work with a view to moving in-house if it gets boring or doesn't work out. From experience, people enjoy working on-site for about two years, when it starts to get dull having to rebuild your social life every so often. Great if you have no commitments but not so much if you want to settle.
If you gain experience in more than one sector of the business you'll be more valuable to your employer, or to another employer if you move on.
Talk to them, it's a positive to show yourself thinking about how things could work out for you and them.

Reply to Career path question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back