Discuss Career path in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I possibly have the opportunity of some training and a higher education course.

The problem is I have a choice of which direction to go. I can undertake a controls course (BMS) or a building services engineer, I think the latter is a broad engineering degree covering many fields.

Iv heard many people talk about BMS in good light but I'm unsure if it's a case of tools down and laptop out kinda role or if there is more to it than that.

I enjoy engineering, design and fault finding.

Can anyone share some experiences or knowledge on these fields?

I possibly have the opportunity of some training and a higher education course.

The problem is I have a choice of which direction to go. I can undertake a controls course (BMS) or a building services engineer, I think the latter is a broad engineering degree covering many fields.

Iv heard many people talk about BMS in good light but I'm unsure if it's a case of tools down and laptop out kinda role or if there is more to it than that.

I enjoy engineering, design and fault finding.

Can anyone share some experiences or knowledge on these fields?

The premise I work at now, has a BMS system. We have a couple of problems, that need fixing. Unfortunately, for the contracted company to have a look at it remotely, or send someone out with a laptop, has a call out fee of £720 + vat and we've run out of year at the end of the money. Its farcical, we can't even adjust the outside lighting, without their laptop.

So I would suggest this avenue, as its obviously very lucrative.

The premise I work at now, has a BMS system. We have a couple of problems, that need fixing. Unfortunately, for the contracted company to have a look at it remotely, or send someone out with a laptop, has a call out fee of £720 + vat and we've run out of year at the end of the money. Its farcical, we can't even adjust the outside lighting, without their laptop.

So I would suggest this avenue, as its obviously very lucrative.

Thanks midwest. I know it can be lucrative. Its attractive on that front but that's not my main focus. I'm more interested in the day to day life of a bms engineer and the future prospects of bms generally.

Let's say in 15/20 years, will bms still be a dedicated section only or will buildings have a hive style DIY setup that means the bms engineer is not required.

Thanks midwest. I know it can be lucrative. Its attractive on that front but that's not my main focus. I'm more interested in the day to day life of a bms engineer and the future prospects of bms generally.

Let's say in 15/20 years, will bms still be a dedicated section only or will buildings have a hive style DIY setup that means the bms engineer is not required.

I doubt large commercial buildings will go down the 'DIY' route.

You have to understand how these large companies operate, and how their procurement processes work. They require mission statements, risk assessments etc before the contractor is even allowed to quote. Once an account is set up with a particular contractor, they are set up for some considerable time. We do use some local contractors for small works, but for the most part, we use the contractors who were originally involved in the original build. As you can imagine, quotations for work reflect the time & effort originally required, and the possible consequences if things don't go to plan.

I'm currently waiting for lighting controller to be commissioned, as the original was located in inappropriate place. It will be commissioned by the original installer. I repositioned it in the summer, still waiting. £650 + vat, to zap it with a laptop. Hopefully sometime in the New Year.

DIY was probably not the correct terminology. I meant more accessible to the end user (building managers/supervisors). If that happens the scope of a bms engineer would be reduced to a bare minimum.

DIY was probably not the correct terminology. I meant more accessible to the end user (building managers/supervisors). If that happens the scope of a bms engineer would be reduced to a bare minimum.

Argh see.

My colleague spoke of a system he used with a previous employer, which was more user friendly, whereby there were more accessible options etc. Can’t recall the name. Perhaps my employer just picked the wrong one. That said, it’s used over multiple venues across the country, and I don’t see how we could easily migrate over to another system.

Any system, ultimately requires professional assistance. Can advise you anymore I’m afraid.

I am an Authorised KNX installer which crosses paths with BMS in certain areas.

I have heard of some BMS companies charging very Trendy amounts of £1000/day but i cannot see the actual engineer seeing this, i also see very high day rates of alarm companies to call their engineers out.

It is difficult too see how this can change anytime soon as their systems are of proprietory design and quite frankly if you do not know what you are doing - its possible for total loss of the system. Hence they do not allow user access to programming for good reason.

So if you go down the BMS route, be careful what manufacturer you are being trained on, as you can get trapped here.

Home automation and BMS are very very different

Reply to Career path in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock