Discuss careers advice/ retrain advice. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanielCorner

Not sure where to start, I've gained electrical test/fault tracing/pat test experience through my experience as a marine engineering technician in the royal navy, gained an nvq2 in mechanical engineering and electrical installation, apprenticeship in engineering. So I believe I have a decent grasp of electrical theory and testing. My plan is to do a course at a trade school, which is 2365 c&g, which includes lvl 2&3 electrical installation, 17th edition, part p building regs, test and inspection c&g, plus quite a few other c&g courses, the brochure says it is the most comprehensive course outside of an apprenticeship, that could be done, has anyone had a similar experience? I know I'll have to have a work placement to finish my nvq, but I'll do that voluntary if I have too, any and all comments appreciated, thanks. And I'm in West Yorkshire if anyone wants any help on any jobs, I'd be more than willing just to get the experience.

Welcome to the forum Daniel, the courses above are perfectly fine. Is it an college that your signing up to or a training provider? This makes a difference in the level of training you will receive.

as paul said, some of these intensive courses are fine, but beware of those that promise to train you in a few weeks for £££££££s, and earn 50K/year. if it looks too good to be true, then it is too good to be true. and i'd not bother with a part p course unless it's part of a package. part p is a building regulation and can be downloaded from planning portal.gov, and studied unaided. there's not much to it.

I did 2330 Level 2 and 3 (replaced with the 2365) then i did 2382 (17th) 2377 (PAT for fun)
2394 (i did with Logic Cerf as i didnt like the odds on passing the C&G version 40%)
and 2395 (i did with EAL, as Logic Cerf means i have to get 100% on each question that have 3marks of lower, and only 75% on questions with marks 4 and above)
Because i can miss read a question, and get Tunnel Version when i do, I didnt like them odds so EAL i think is best for 2394/5 Initial Verification and Periodic.

As for Part P, i was told it was a Waste of time with this Comp Person.

As for the NVQ3 you can get a Bridge from the 2356 but you would need someone to take you on..
PLUS would need to do a AM2/3 (dark magic exam i dont know any thing about)
And as for getting hands on, you need to be again paid, other wise it would void the electricians insurance.
But if it never happens it never happened.

Reply to careers advice/ retrain advice. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net