Discuss cash in hand in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hughesy

Hi guys my bestmate asked me to rewire his house before he sells it , im doing it on the cheap as he fitted my boiler on the cheap only problem is he is gonna need a cert my company wont let me have one is there any other way round this as its a cash in hand job not to worried about part p i dont think anyone will check that but any suggations on that will be gratefully accepted.

Just rewire it and do a PIR.

Anyone can do them.

I thought about that but what about the part where you would normally put you company name and address would you just put your own name and address or leave it blank or blagg it bearing in mind he will beselling his house and they will probably ask for the cert.

No reason why you cant put your company name on their as though you are doing a requested PIR by the client.

At the end of the day, if you are really that concerned about it, then do the job, get paid cash and declare (some of) it and issue an EIC.

No reason why you cant put your company name on their as though you are doing a requested PIR by the client.

At the end of the day, if you are really that concerned about it, then do the job, get paid cash and declare (some of) it and issue an EIC.
cheers mate , also thought of doing the rewire then telling them to get a company in to do a pereodic my company only charges 100+vat would this be fine for when he sells his house.

You could always take the route of notifying the LABC and issue a EIC?

Not sure what this would cost via your local LABC but at least your friend will have an EIC. As Jason said just declare some of it?

Your a competent spark , yes , rewire the house , test , issue EIC in your own name and address and you will have no probs when the house gets sold , i very very much doubt it will even get looked at or asked for , and if it does , no estate agent , or buyer will have a clue what there looking at anyway .... That's the real truth

This is the big big problem with part P , lack of advertising, direction , or enforcement by the government and governing bodies (NICEIC , NAPIT , ELECSA) and means 99 out of a 100 people have never heard of it and don't care .

The NICEIC and the rest need to follow Corgi,s lead and get the word out , then all us sparks will earn the kind of money we deserve , just look at what a gas engineer earns.:):)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jason if its for your pal rewire it. Then do a PIR, if anyone asks all you did was the PIR that your pal asked for to show the house was up to spec and you don't know who did the install no one will ask you and your pal can say it was done before part p came in and he's not got the install cirt anymore (mind you you can't say it was too long ago cos of the colours changing). Most people don't even ask for a PIR on a house anyway so if he don't get asked for it don't offer it to anyone and no one will be the wiser.

Your a competent spark , yes , rewire the house , test , issue EIC in your own name and address and you will have no probs when the house gets sold , i very very much doubt it will even get looked at or asked for , and if it does , no estate agent , or buyer will have a clue what there looking at anyway .... That's the real truth

This is the big big problem with part P , lack of advertising, direction , or enforcement by the government and governing bodies (NICEIC , NAPIT , ELECSA) and means 99 out of a 100 people have never heard of it and don't care .

The NICEIC and the rest need to follow Corgi,s lead and get the word out , then all us sparks will earn the kind of money we deserve , just look at what a gas engineer earns.:):)
thats sounds good to me mate, i am a competent spark so will go with that not making any seriouse money anyway as i said its more like a favour for a favour , but just wondering what would happen if i got caught doing a rewire without issuing a part p allthough cant see it happening ,and there cant be a law about doing a job for free can there.

thats sounds good to me mate, i am a competent spark so will go with that not making any seriouse money anyway as i said its more like a favour for a favour , but just wondering what would happen if i got caught doing a rewire without issuing a part p allthough cant see it happening ,and there cant be a law about doing a job for free can there.

Well you know as well as I do by the time they would have caught up with you something else would have probably been introduced. But in answer to your question what is supposed to happen is what was published by the IEE in 2005 wiring matters:

ENFORCEMENT
The person carrying out electrical work
that contravenes the Building
Regulations can be fined up to £5000 for
the contravention, and £50 each day the
contravention continues. Additionally,
householders may encounter problems
selling their houses if work fails to
comply with the Building Regulations.
The householder is ultimately
responsible for ensuring that electrical
work complies with the Building
Regulations in his/her dwelling. It is the
householder/owner who may ultimately
be served with an enforcement notice.
However, the primary responsibility for
achieving compliance rests with the
person carrying out the electrical work.

Well you know as well as I do by the time they would have caught up with you something else would have probably been introduced. But in answer to your question what is supposed to happen is what was published by the IEE in 2005 wiring matters:

ENFORCEMENT
The person carrying out electrical work
that contravenes the Building
Regulations can be fined up to £5000 for
the contravention, and £50 each day the
contravention continues. Additionally,
householders may encounter problems
selling their houses if work fails to
comply with the Building Regulations.
The householder is ultimately
responsible for ensuring that electrical
work complies with the Building
Regulations in his/her dwelling. It is the
householder/owner who may ultimately
be served with an enforcement notice.
However, the primary responsibility for
achieving compliance rests with the
person carrying out the electrical work.

I agree with above quote, and why should people get away without certifying their own work, i have to for each and every job, big or small, and it costs me hundreds of pounds each year, so i say if you get caught its your own fault and you would deserve any fine you get and i would report anyone i found who hadnt, you have to abide by the law even if you dont agree with it. regards dave

we do cash in hand jobs at the weekend, aka foriners, we do quite a few re wires.. we get round it by bringing a guy in who has his own electrical business, giving him a day or twos work and he signs the cert off. mabe a local electrican would be willing to do this woth you. as far as i see everything is cushty.And of course we pay our share of tax on these jobs!!

end of the day all work needs certifying full stop, you also need to notify labc of the rewire. so you can either pay £150 and get labc to issue certs or test it yourself and use green eic's, still need labc in my opinion, spesh as there's prob a new consumer unit getting fitted.

do the job right matey and ignore the clowns that recommend another spark certifying it for you, what spark worth his salt is gonna tick all those box's as if he'd done the job, ill tell you who a bleeding cowboy would.

I agree with above quote, and why should people get away without certifying their own work, i have to for each and every job, big or small, and it costs me hundreds of pounds each year, so i say if you get caught its your own fault and you would deserve any fine you get and i would report anyone i found who hadnt, you have to abide by the law even if you dont agree with it. regards dave
hi dave i fully agree, did you read my first thread im not earning alot on this im doing it at cost as the guy i am doing it for put me a new boiler and rads at a very cheap price so im returning the favour only thing is he will need a cert as he is selling his house so why shouldnt i be able to issue a cert without getting fined its not something i do all the time .

end of the day all work needs certifying full stop, you also need to notify labc of the rewire. so you can either pay £150 and get labc to issue certs or test it yourself and use green eic's, still need labc in my opinion, spesh as there's prob a new consumer unit getting fitted.

do the job right matey and ignore the clowns that recommend another spark certifying it for you, what spark worth his salt is gonna tick all those box's as if he'd done the job, ill tell you who a bleeding cowboy would.
i didnt know how much it was to get labc out but if its only 150 surely thats worth doing not going to tell tax man though as not really making any money im returning the favour but could i still get fined for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
we do cash in hand jobs at the weekend, aka foriners, we do quite a few re wires.. we get round it by bringing a guy in who has his own electrical business, giving him a day or twos work and he signs the cert off. mabe a local electrican would be willing to do this woth you. as far as i see everything is cushty.And of course we pay our share of tax on these jobs!!

Do we?? well I would not be stating it on the web that I do jobs cash in hand not knowing if HMRC are trawling sites like this for people stating things like this and openly dropping them selves in the ****.

This thread sums up what is wrong in the trade and why we as electricians aren't able to make decent sums of money, as a self employed bloke i am registered with niceic, i have to go through all the assessments, test equipment calibration, public liability, van expenses etc etc Therefore i have to do the right thing all the time, how can we compete with electricians working for cash, gettin ther mate into certify jobs etc.

Can you imagine customers having work done to there gas supply by non corgi registered tradesman, thats why they get paid good money, always someone down the pub that can wire your house for £500.

Just because you don't agree with the rules doesn't mean you don't have to abide by them.

If you are rewiring a house you must inform LABC about it or join a scheme. If not we are all doomed in the long run.

part p is a pain and not working as it should, however i pay my fees so why should others not if your a spark then regestering a paying £300 a year membership should not be a problem

This thread sums up what is wrong in the trade and why we as electricians aren't able to make decent sums of money, as a self employed bloke i am registered with niceic, i have to go through all the assessments, test equipment calibration, public liability, van expenses etc etc Therefore i have to do the right thing all the time, how can we compete with electricians working for cash, gettin ther mate into certify jobs etc.

Can you imagine customers having work done to there gas supply by non corgi registered tradesman, thats why they get paid good money, always someone down the pub that can wire your house for £500.

Just because you don't agree with the rules doesn't mean you don't have to abide by them.

If you are rewiring a house you must inform LABC about it or join a scheme. If not we are all doomed in the long run.

I totally agree but your missing the point im not making any interest on this job im just wiring a mates house cause he put me a new boiler in and rads only thing is he wants a cert cause he is going to sell his house so i wanted to know if i could issue a cert or tell labc with out being fined or anything i work for a small company so i know exactly what its like for small companys but at the end of the day im returning a favour to my corgi registered mate im not poaching work or doing endless foreigners just me and mate mate who work 6 days a week sometimes seven to do well for our famillys want to help each other out so only wanted advice on the best way to cert it without getting in trouble with labc or tax man cause im not getting paid.

My post was not aimed at you , it was a general comment posted after i had read the total thread.

It is easy for you really, just inform LABC before doing the work, get ya mate to pay the fee and thats it. Just sayin i am up against sparks all day who aint going by the rules, not only that;l they bad mouth people like me to the customer sayin we tryin to rip them off.

In my opinion something needs to be done, i don't really mind either way as long as its a level playing field for all of us.

Sorry if you got the hump, no offence intended.

Reply to cash in hand in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock