Discuss Cash in hand in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Electricalserv

Just wondering if this industry still has a problem with cash in hand labour? In my area this was rife. In this case the cash in hand wasn't usually enough to be paying tax. You ended up on an apprentice wage of about £60 for 3 days work. Cheap labour, but to the lads (16 straight out of school) doing it, a foot in the door, or so they thought.

One of the main problems in my area was, companys didn't want to take you on full time. So they would offer you cash in hand for your work. This meant that an apprentiship wasn't available to you as nothing was legit & work wasn't 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

So does it still happen or was this just a Northern thing?

Or does nobody want to talk about the it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Oer can't imagine too many people wanting to contribute to this. All I can say is that each time I'm in my main trade supplier there are some sparkies who they always ask "cash or account".

Last edited by a moderator:
I love being paid in cash! It doesn't bounce and customers can't cancel it! On the flip side people expect deals for cash which is annoying as it doesn't effect the amount my overheads cost nor does it effect the amount of tax i pay seeing as i'm honest with the Inland Revenue. Also, the bank charge me to deposit it in my account! :mad: Give me BACS any day! :D

People always offer me cash hoping to get a bit knocked off, but it makes no difference as it gets declared and frankly its not worth the risk of getting caught - don't want the man with the bowler hat on my case (he isn't as friendly in real life as he is in the adverts)

I take cash, but usually only for small amounts, and i account for it. I have had a £3k plus cash payment recently cos that was the customers preference, and most of it went into the bank. The problem with having large amounts of cash is trying to spend it. Most reputable companies wont accept more than about £1000 in cash due to money laundering laws.

Believe me not accounting for cash is not clever, the odd few quid here and there no bother, but if Her Majesties finest come to see you, you wont like it, not even a little bit. They are ruthless and want to know how you paid for everything, and i mean everything. Then once they are have done they will assess what you owe them, back calculate it for about 5 years and demand immediate payment. Been there, done it and have the T shirt, take it from me DONT get greedy.

I was lucky, had little to hide and was honest. It cost me about £1500 a few years ago, and it was a genuine mistake on my part, get the wrong side of these people and your whole world will collapse in on itself.

However you look at it we have to pay tax, so pay it.

Cheers...........Howard

Reply to Cash in hand in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net