Discuss cat6 network cabinet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
quote for a job that they want 4x tv positions and 4x wifi spots

then a central cupboard to house a network cabinet + switch for tv aerials

they want 1x twin coaxial+ 2x cat6(1 for internet, 1x for hdmi) from tv to cabinet cupboard
and 1x cat6 from wifi spots to cabinet cupboard

so in total 12x cat6 cables back to cabinet- 8 for internet and 4 for hdmi

was thinking of using something like the attached photo- but why are they 2x parts inside?
cheers

View attachment 35748

Go with the patch panel, but buy yourself a decent punch down tool suitable for the terminations if you don't already have one. If you get the wrong one, you can knacker the insulation piercing connections.

Terminating network cable to a punch down panel is so much quicker than trying to make off a bunch of RJ45 connections which would obviously need a crimp tool as well.

The patch panel by its very name is "patched" to something. Which commonly is to a switch or hosted services own server/switch/patch panel. So you have the patch panel with the various sockets stamped down at the back then short cat 5 cables coming from a switch panel feeding into the patch panel. It very much depends on what the infrastructure is based on. This allows switching of services and socket designations to different desks and so on. Are they having phones installed? On a call system or is it a really simple BT system (simple, don't know why I said that!)? I must say on hosted services, there is often problems with wi-fi points as they have their own address which may not match up with the host services assigned addresses causing shall we say "difficulties" Sorry if I am over reading what you are doing just ignore the foregoing if I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest using 3 x CAT6a cables into euromodules and a coax euromodule into a deep double back box and face plate for each tv point all wired back to patch panel. Wifi points 2 x CAT 6a cables (inc 1 spare) next to bedside table 2 x CAT6a can be used for phone or data. If high end house change 1 of the CAT6a cables for tv to fibre. Install a matrix box for distibution.
Hope that helps.

Reply to cat6 network cabinet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net