Discuss catenary wire heights on bungalows in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Putting together plans for a job in few weeks. Will need to run a new catenary
wire over to the garage from bungalow, length approximately 6m.
Was a previous wire in place before the old supply was removed. it is now sagging and not fit for purpose.
Cable will cross over edge of lawn and wont cross above any parking area or be likely to be hit by anything.
Whats the minimum height cables should be suspended? all the references in the various books give a minimum height of 3.5m I can not achieve due to it being a small bungalow, cable exit poitn from house and fuseboard is a small pantry type room, highest point I can reach here is 2.65m
Digging and burying an SWA is not possible due to ground conditions and property being used by a care company to look after a disabled resident. most of garden is concrete or paved and very smooth and flat. told it cant come up due to wheelchair use etc..

Do I just record it as a departure on the certificate?

Putting together plans for a job in few weeks. Will need to run a new catenary
wire over to the garage from bungalow, length approximately 6m.
Was a previous wire in place before the old supply was removed. it is now sagging and not fit for purpose.
Cable will cross over edge of lawn and wont cross above any parking area or be likely to be hit by anything.
Whats the minimum height cables should be suspended? all the references in the various books give a minimum height of 3.5m I can not achieve due to it being a small bungalow, cable exit poitn from house and fuseboard is a small pantry type room, highest point I can reach here is 2.65m
Digging and burying an SWA is not possible due to ground conditions and property being used by a care company to look after a disabled resident. most of garden is concrete or paved and very smooth and flat. told it cant come up due to wheelchair use etc..

Do I just record it as a departure on the certificate?
Gavin in the USA it is 3.5 meters minimum

If you can't achieve 3.5m then I'd say you go as high as you can, what are the risks at 2.65m?

Also what will the height be in the middle with cable sag? Will this pose a risk?

417.3 basically says refer to ESQCR 2002 schedule 2 but that seems to refer more to overhead distribution for HV supplies.

If you can't achieve 3.5m then I'd say you go as high as you can, what are the risks at 2.65m?

Also what will the height be in the middle with cable sag? Will this pose a risk?

417.3 basically says refer to ESQCR 2002 schedule 2 but that seems to refer more to overhead distribution for HV supplies.
Thats where I was a bit bemused too, it doesnt really cover a domestic setting across a back garden.
In terms if sag I will only be putting 3 core 2.5mm H07 on the wire. Not too heavy. Have done longer runs before with H07.
Did have a liitle booklet that allowed you to calculate the sag and stretch in the wire when suspended depending on the the type of cable.wish i kept it now.

can you not fit a bit of strut on a bracket to raise the height; something like an aerial fixing?

Under the 15th was there not a reg for minimum hights as well as the depth of buried cables, I am sure both have been replaced with suitable height and depth?

Get one of those rubber strips that you run across an office floor to contain cables.
And if its for a wheelchair user.... it doubles as a speedbump.

:eek:Noooo..... you can't say that!!!!!

Get one of those rubber strips that you run across an office floor to contain cables.
And if its for a wheelchair user.... it doubles as a speedbump.

:eek:Noooo..... you can't say that!!!!!
Little spark that comment was very disrespectful, my brother had a leg amputation and in a wheelchair. Never make fun of the less fortunate

Little spark that comment was very disrespectful, my brother had a leg amputation and in a wheelchair. Never make fun of the less fortunate

You have to get used to our dry British humour mate. I don't think that @littlespark meant any disrespect by it... My northern mate takes the micky out of me and I'm less fortunate.... He's waaaay better looking than me...

Megawatt where are you from
Matthew I’m from North Carolina in the USA and I joined this forum to learn how other countries do electrical and I’m impressed at how you guys investigate matters of electrical. I’ve had 14 heart attacks and l look forward to chatting with y’all since I can’t work a full time job

Reply to catenary wire heights on bungalows in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net