Discuss Catering trailer connection question.... in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tintin10

Hi

Ive just got a pitch for my catering trailer, however the trailer has a 32amp inlet and the supply is only 16amp. Ive got to start there in the next 2 days, and the earliest the supply can get sorted is 2 weeks.

Is there anyway I can run it safely for now?

Know absolutely zip about electrics, so sorry if its a daft question.

what level of power do you need? 16A might not be enough to run all your equipment.

what level of power do you need? 16A might not be enough to run all your equipment.

Thanks for the reply mate.

It will be running a fridge, a freezer, one strip light, 2 little round ceiling lights, a 4,3kw 240v griddle plate, a tea urn and a blender.

that griddle plate on it'sown is 18A so you need a 32A supply. 16A will just trip out.

knowing the tea urn wattage would help. if it's 3kW or less you might just get away with 16A.

knowing the tea urn wattage would help. if it's 3kW or less you might just get away with 16A.

Ive yet to buy it so Il just make sure its less than 3kw.

Am I right in thinking that if I do overload the circuit, the worst it will do is trip the fuse box? Dont want to damage anything bc I cant get it sorted properly in time.

Gas will be cheaper to run too , unless the electric is in with the pitch.
My mate has one and just the fridge , lights and boiler are on electric.

as long as the fuse/breaker protecting the supply cable is the correct value ( e.g. 16A or 20A for a 2.5mm cable. then all it will do is blow fuse/trip breaker if overloaded.

as long as the fuse/breaker protecting the supply cable is the correct value ( e.g. 16A or 20A for a 2.5mm cable. then all it will do is blow fuse/trip breaker if overloaded.

I think the circuit is rated for 32amp? Ive just spoke to the guy who owned it previous and he said just plug stuff in until it trips.

Just been told there are 2 16a sockets available across the way, but the owner still needs 2 16a sockets available.

Could I buy a 4 way splitter, so he still has his 2 16a, then get a 2 x 16 into 32a splitter for me?

No . It doesn't work like that.
The sockets are called 16A sockets, the next size up is 32A socket.
But just because they are "called" those name, doesn't mean you actually have that available.
Working back from the socket outlet will be a trip fuse, usually 16a for a 16a socket, but that's not always the case.
A site I go camping to has all his 16a socket outlets fused at 10a.
And you defiantly CAN NOT join two together to try and obtain 32a.
As the guys above have said, you need to know what you will be using and work back from that.
I'm assuming the hook up is 230v ( blue plugs and sockets) & not 110v ( yellow plugs and sockets)

No . It doesn't work like that.
The sockets are called 16A sockets, the next size up is 32A socket.
But just because they are "called" those name, doesn't mean you actually have that available.
Working back from the socket outlet will be a trip fuse, usually 16a for a 16a socket, but that's not always the case.
A site I go camping to has all his 16a socket outlets fused at 10a.
And you defiantly CAN NOT join two together to try and obtain 32a.
As the guys above have said, you need to know what you will be using and work back from that.
I'm assuming the hook up is 230v ( blue plugs and sockets) & not 110v ( yellow plugs and sockets)

Yeah its all blue plugs.

Just spoke to a mate and he said because my van is rated for 32a, if I try to run that off a 16a supply, I wont trip anything because the fuse box in the van wont see anything abnormal, but I might shag the 16a supply right back to the mains?

Is this right?

Just read your post again and forgot to mention.
If your trailer has a 32a socket on it and the supply has a 16a plug on it, you will need an adaptor.
They are physically different sizes

Lol, you shouldn't shag it, but yes your friend is right.
Assuming there are no unforseen electrical issues with your van or equipment, then if you "overload" the incoming supply, you will simply trip it at their end. Resulting in you having to disconnect stuff and walking over to his fuse board and resetting the supply fuse.

Just read your post again and forgot to mention.
If your trailer has a 32a socket on it and the supply has a 16a plug on it, you will need an adaptor.
They are physically different sizes

Yeah, I can grab an adapter no sweat.

Thing is the supply is at a petrol station, is that going to turn all of his gear off? I doubt he'd be happy about that if so!

That depends.
If your feed is I independently fused, ie the fuse to the 16a socket has nothing else off it, then you should be ok. But if he has other things off this circuit, then you might cause him issues.
You have just dropped in the fact that you are setting up your Chuck wagon next to a petrol station.
How close are u to the pumps and petrol storage. That might be the bigger issue.

Reply to Catering trailer connection question.... in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock