Discuss cavity wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kellogs64

Hi all
Are you still allowed to run cables in a cavity wall to wire a conservetry to conform to 17th edition amedndmant 1
many thanks for your help,if you could direct me to the relevent page in the wiring guides would be even better.

There is no specific regulation that forbids an installer installing a cable within a cavity wall. However BS 7671:2008+A1:2011 and The Building Regulations:2000+A:2010 highlight a number of reasons why this practice is undesirable:

The cable may be damaged during installation - BS 7671:2008+A1:2011, 522.8.1 refers.

The cable lacks support and also damage may occur due to the cable's own weight - BS 7671:2008+A1:2011, 522.8.4 refers.

Thermoplastic insulated and sheathed cables (PVC/PVC) in contact with polystyrene may cause the plasticizer within the insulation to migrate, leading to softening of the cable sheath - BS 7671:2008+A1:2011, 522.5.3 refers.

Cables installed within thermal insulation will have their current carrying capacity significantly reduced, which may require cable sizes to be increased - BS 7671:2008+A1:2011, 523.9 refers.

The cable may be attacked by flora and fauna - BS 7671:2008+A1:2011, 522.9 refers.

The cable may be in contact with the outer and inner wall thereby providing a route for water - Approved Document C Building Regulations refers.

From above, it is easy to see that cables should not normally be installed in external cavity walls, but where it has to be done the installation designer may well judge that Mineral-Insulated Copper Sheathed (MICS) cable is a suitable choice in such a location providing its selection and erection complies with BS 7671:2008+A1:2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
would running singles through pvc conduit fix it rather than mineral insulated,i dont fancy trying to use swa?

Can't add much to what Markie said (as usual!). I tend to view cavity walls as a no-no unless it's a last resort. If there really is no option then go with armoured!

Always do mine in PVC conduit normally drop down in the room the conserveatorys built off drill through and fit a socket and tube from here, or wire back to back off exsiting socket and so on

Always do mine in PVC conduit normally drop down in the room the conserveatorys built off drill through and fit a socket and tube from here, or wire back to back off exsiting socket and so on

conduit on show ?

want a system thats not on view ie trunking,conduit.theres got to be a more suitable cable than swa or mi ?

how much do you charge to wire a coservatery roughly

Surface mount in trunking if you can't channel the wall, or go under floor. Absolutely no way I would run in cavity.

i generally use pvc conduit laid on top of the fibreglass in the cavity of the dwarf walls. no way would a customer allow surface wiring. under floor is only an option if i can get in before the screed is laid.

i charge between £250 and £350 for most. that's allowing for 2 visits, 1st/2nd fix.

is that for two double sockets and a light ?

next i will be asking for your phone number lol ?

thanks for your input really appritiate it

i usually fit 2 twin sockets and a wall light or 2. light/s via a 3A FCU off the circuit feeding the sockets.

thanks again for your advice

is'nt there a cable you could lay in there,somthing inbetween pvc/pvc and swa

would i be better talking to my wholeseller,surley laying a cable between bricks wouldnt need the protection of swa,after taking into account the other facters

Last edited by a moderator:
,surley laying a cable between bricks wouldnt need the protection of swa,after taking into account the other facters

As markiesparkie said in the first reply, Mics.

Taking into account "the other factors" is what results in the need. I can see that you don't want to use mics or swa, but if you want to run the cable through the cavity that's what you need.

is'nt there a cable you could lay in there,somthing inbetween pvc/pvc and swa
Cables between T&E and SWA are Hituff, multi flex SY control cable, NYYJ cable or possibly FP cable but this is not really a solution to the problem if you read post#2 there are other factors at work.

EDIT too slow: as imago said!

Can't see a problem myself, conservatory walls are normally only around 500mm (or less) high before the glass starts. So given that the cable has been sized appropriately for insulation de-ratings etc, i wouldn't have a problem running cables in the cavity of a conservatory, .... for my own property at least...lol!!.

Thermoplastic insulated and sheathed cables (PVC/PVC) in contact with polystyrene may cause the plasticizer within the insulation to migrate, leading to softening of the cable sheath - BS 7671:2008+A1:2011, 522.5.3 refers.

Not anymore, not since the 80's

The cable may be attacked by flora and fauna - BS 7671:2008+A1:2011, 522.9 refers.

Surely that's true of any installation location...

The cable may be in contact with the outer and inner wall thereby providing a route for water - Approved Document C Building Regulations refers.

The times i've heard this nonsense!! So what are the ties doing then?? Let alone the dollops of mortar that gets dropped in/down the cavity of just about every brick/block built building ever constructed... Or even, what about the insulation sheets come to that??

Not saying that i would advise anyone to run cables in the cavity in normal circumstances, but when you have very low walls, as you find in most conservatory's, in all reality, it's not going to create any real problems at all....

the way i read it is flex with a steel reienforced(sorry not sure what its called) should be more than adequate,as for the rest correction facter is .5 when run through insulation over 500mm even 2.5 on a fused spur would do it

Reply to cavity wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock