Discuss Cctv installation should i or shouldnt i? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mgnelec09

Hi,

I am currently pricing a full installation for a new build 5 bedroom property which is out in the sticks.

They have asked me to price for an 8 way Dvr system which feeds the images back to the main TV in the lounge.

Reluctantly I exlained that I have very limited experience in this field but will have a look into it for them.

In reality I have no experience with CCTV.

I think they are wanting 4 cameras around the property.

Is this something that is easy enough to have a crack at? if so can you recommend a good system to use and give a few pointers on how to install.

Many Thanks

Is there any specific equipment you would recommend?

I have always been interested in having a go at it but hesitant as dont really know where to start

How much would I be looking at for a decent quality system and where is the best place to get it?

many thanks

Whatever you do don't turn it down it really is easy and modern day life has gotten the consumer really wanting to have CCTV of one kind or another installed. Plenty of money to be made there. You can buy a kit from the likes of TLC and others. For the runs use shotgun cable (coax for image and twin as power supply). You can also buy a power unit where all the cameras are supplied from the same step down transformer. All the best mate, if you get stuck I am sure there is plenty of help around here. Cheers

You can also run both power & video & control over a single length of Cat5 normally :) CCTV is very simple to install however!

try ESP gear from electric centre. it's in their catalogue. 8 way dvr with 4 cameras. comes out around £600 inc. vat.

maplins do some nice kits for around £350 4 camera kits with infra red for night......colour and sound during day...all cameras fitted with pir,s and a doddle to fit as all the cables are made up and ready to go.i personally have fitted and commissioned a full setup in less than a dayand it was my first attempt.

The kit you buy from Maplins and quite a few of the electrical factors won't be anything to write home about though. It's pretty much DIY level gear at that price, not commercial grade kit.

The kit you buy from Maplins and quite a few of the electrical factors won't be anything to write home about though. It's pretty much DIY level gear at that price, not commercial grade kit.

i was quite suprised at how good it actually was with constant 24/7 crystal clear video recording,network facility to enable a message to your mobile and a 30 second video clip sent via mms if any cameras where activated.fully programmable individual cameras either on pir activated record or constant record.customized zones for pir activation on each indidvidual camera so you didnt actually have to have the whole camera view as pir active just selected portions,what more could you want and we are talking domestic property here not a commercial premises,i think it was a bargain for the price and so user friendly to set up.

Thanks for the info guys, do these systems play through say the lounge tv or do they need to have a specific monitor? also does this mobile phone dialler come as standard or is it an extra?

most come with a simple phono out from a BNC adaptor and a VGA output so connecting to TV on say a spare AV channel is not a problem , As for mobile phone dialler ....slightly baffeled but i may have missed a earlier post, you can purchase a model that can be viewed over IE and most now have posibility of viewing over the i phone platform or Android, If they have static IP no problem or if not you can set up a dyndns account and do it that way
Thanks for the info guys, do these systems play through say the lounge tv or do they need to have a specific monitor? also does this mobile phone dialler come as standard or is it an extra?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cctv installation should i or shouldnt i? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock