Discuss Ceiling box too small in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bchris

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I have ceiling boxes in my garage for old fluorescent lights. I want to install a single outlet in them to support new led lights. The existing boxes are round and the screw holes are 2.75 “ apart. I can’t find a way to adapt a 4” outlet plate to this box. Is there an adapter available?
I have attached pictures of the current setup and the desired single outlet.

Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• 575469BF-8F73-4045-8BD9-C42DC4D1A4ED.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 3927EA7B-6EDB-440D-B0E5-257B38F34561.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 16
Hi
I have ceiling boxes in my garage for old fluorescent lights. I want to install a single outlet in them to support new led lights. The existing boxes are round and the screw holes are 2.75 “ apart. I can’t find a way to adapt a 4” outlet plate to this box. Is there an adapter available?
I have attached pictures of the current setup and the desired single outlet.

Thanks
Bill
Bill that receptacle in that cover is home made and not compliant with the NEC. My advise to you is go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy new plastic boxes and change them. That cover is made for an octagonal metal box. Please call an electrician to give you what you need. The boxes just cost around $ 5.00 and receptacles are not designed to support nothing

Bill that receptacle in that cover is home made and not compliant with the NEC. My advise to you is go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy new plastic boxes and change them. That cover is made for an octagonal metal box. Please call an electrician to give you what you need. The boxes just cost around $ 5.00 and receptacles are not designed to support nothing
Hi yes I put that duplex abomination up. I was hoping to adapt the existing boxes with resizing rings. If the answer is to replace the boxes then that is the answer.
Thank you!
Bill

Hi yes I put that duplex abomination up. I was hoping to adapt the existing boxes with resizing rings. If the answer is to replace the boxes then that is the answer.
Thank you!
Bill
You are welcome Bill and have a great day and good luck

Reply to Ceiling box too small in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net