Discuss Ceiling Downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Phil379

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
Hope someone can help me please
Have six ceiling downlights in my kitchen, recently one of the bulbs stopped working so I replaced it, these lights have a retaining spring clip which stops the bulb from dropping down. My problem is I now have three of the lights not working, have checked the bulbs and checked the wiring all is ok. Is it me in re-fitting the spring clip not correctly? Can the lights just dangle from the ceiling and still work or do they need the clip to act as an earth?
Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated
Many Thanks
Phil

even dangling from the fitting, the lights should still work. my guess is that you've disturbed a loose connection thus stopping the 3 lights from working. as they are daisy chaied, a break in either L or N conductor will stop any lights further down the chain from working. if you're not confident to find this, call in a spark. simple job should not take more than an hour.

Hi Phil,

The clips have absolutely nothing to do with the functioning of the downlights, they are just there to keep the fittings in place in the ceiling.
I would suggest that in the act of you taking the fitting down a wire has come loose possibly in a joint away from that light and you must be careful when looking for this, proper procedures must be adhered to with regards to isolation etc.
You are probably going to need some professional assistance i'm afraid.
[automerge]1584452002[/automerge]
The clips have absolutely nothing to do with the functioning of the downlights, they are just there to keep the fittings in place in the ceiling. I would suggest that in the act of you taking the fitting down a wire has come loose possibly in a joint away from that light and you must be careful when looking for this, proper procedures must be adhered to with regards to isolation etc. You are probably going to need some professional assistance i'm afraid. Tel in first again lol

Turns out it was the transformer a cheap one from B&Q of course they don’t do them anymore so had to buy three new ones with their own transformers and now the holes are slight bigger aargh!!

As others have said about disturbing a loose connection over time with the old halogen lamps quite often the wire would have got so hot it disintegrates and just about makes until the lamp fails, then you come along take the lamp out and disturb it and it no longer works.

Turns out it was the transformer a cheap one from B&Q of course they don’t do them anymore so had to buy three new ones with their own transformers and now the holes are slight bigger aargh!!
Just replace the transformer not the light fitting. Almost anywhere is cheaper and better than b and q also.

Will be replacing as lights were old and kept blowing, with this new set of lights they are guaranteed for 5 years and I am told the integrated bulb can last for up to 35 years!!
[automerge]1584521971[/automerge]

Will be replacing as lights were old and kept blowing, with this new set of lights they are guaranteed for 5 years and I am told the integrated bulb can last for up to 35 years!!
[automerge]1584521971[/automerge]
You probably have to register the purchase to get the guarantee but they sound better and won't run as hot either

All done and working, bit of a balls ache going up and down into the loft (live in a bungalow) but wiring all done and lights look great. Just a bit of plastering to do around the lights to tidy it up, really pleased, thanks everyone for your help and info
[automerge]1584548010[/automerge]
You probably have to register the purchase to get the guarantee but they sound better and won't run as hot either
Kept receipt from store and told to come back if any problems
[automerge]1584548555[/automerge]
Just one final question, I have loft insulation, is it ok to place it on to the lights or do I need to cover the three lights first?

Last edited:
All done and working, bit of a balls ache going up and down into the loft (live in a bungalow) but wiring all done and lights look great. Just a bit of plastering to do around the lights to tidy it up, really pleased, thanks everyone for your help and info
[automerge]1584548010[/automerge]

Kept receipt from store and told to come back if any problems
[automerge]1584548555[/automerge]
Just one final question, I have loft insulation, is it ok to place it on to the lights or do I need to cover the three lights first?
Should say about the insulation in the instructions or manufacturers guidelines. Usually it's a no but they are a few leds which can be

always advisable to leave a space clear of insulation around each light, a circle 8" diameter, unless the MI specifically say that they can be covered

Reply to Ceiling Downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net