Discuss Ceiling Fan Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mission7

DIY
Reaction score
I move an old ceiling fan to my carport. I wired the fan in as I took it out.

PROBLEM: at the wall box i am wiring a singe pole switch, but when ever i plug in the electricity it pops the breaker. However, when the fan is direct (hard) wired it does not trip the breaker and the fan operates correctly. I am using the same power supply in both cases. The switch is new from the store.

QUESTION: why does the switch cause the breaker to trigger and direct wiring does not?

Can you show a pic of the switch wiring.
Mission7 where you put the ceiling fan should have at a minimum of 2 cables having said that 1 cable you have a black and white at the switch the white wire is supposed to be taped with black tape to indicate it is being used as a live wire. The main cable power also has a black and white. That white wire needs to be the power for the light which is coming from the switch. All you have done is terminate the white from the switch to all the white wires or neutrals so when you turn the switch on it trips the breaker

Mission7 where you put the ceiling fan should have at a minimum of 2 cables having said that 1 cable you have a black and white at the switch the white wire is supposed to be taped with black tape to indicate it is being used as a live wire. The main cable power also has a black and white. That white wire needs to be the power for the light which is coming from the switch. All you have done is terminate the white from the switch to all the white wires or neutrals so when you turn the switch on it trips the breaker
Ok, let me decipher this comment. A single pole switch gets a white (hot) wire from source to fan. The black wires are not used and the ground wire is wired to ground on switch?

Ok, let me decipher this comment. A single pole switch gets a white (hot) wire from source to fan. The black wires are not used and the ground wire is wired to ground on switch?
Mission the hot black wire in the box with the light goes straight to the switch top screw the white wire in the switch goes straight to the light. If they are more cables in the box should be all tied together. Please tape the white wire being used as a live wire

Reply to Ceiling Fan Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net