Discuss Ceiling Lampholder Wiring Help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ABB

Hi, Im trying to replace a ceiling lamp but am a little confused with the wiring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a picture of the old lamp as it is currently connected (the lamp cable has been removed but was connected where the red circles are). The second picture is the new one and the lamp cable was already attached. Can anyone tell me where to connect each cable?

Attachments

• Old.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 48
  • New.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 40
just be aware that N3 is NOT a neutral, it ia a switched live and should be red sleeved

Ooohh oohhhh oohhhh I wanna play it's just like painting by numbers just with pretty wires!!
Lol

Having said that 100% respect to the op for the diagram as it don't half make life easier

bet someone tells him to use brown sleeve! and yes, good pic.

bet someone tells him to use brown sleeve! and yes, good pic.

Now you have started something. I changed some lights in a house about a year back, I sleeved the black cables brown and was chatting to a sparks I know and didn't he pull me over the coals for it.

I know the approved document P is only a guide but I quoted him that new colours from appendix D should be used after March 2006, he came back with I should not have mixed up the colours and sleeved it red, we nearly had to stop buying pints that night, but luckily common sensed prevailed and we finished talking about work.

Who is right, I have a sneaky feeling it was him, as common sense tells you should not mix Red/Brown, but I wasn't going to let him win

It's the same as adding to a circuit wired in red/black with brown/blue. That is mixing colours but it's the standard. At least it was sleeved indicating that it was a live conductor. If I saw brown on black I would assume it was a live conductor.

either is correct, but i prefer to keep to sensible colours when i can. we beat napoleon in 1815, hitler in 1945, now we got stupid europrats dictating instead,what was the point. Rant for the day done, now i can go for a pint

Reply to Ceiling Lampholder Wiring Help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net