Discuss Ceiling Light Fixture in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spinney

Hi, I'm hoping someone here will be able to help. Recently the ceiling light in the sitting room fell down and was hanging by the wires. When I took it down I noticed there was a long nut which had fractured. It's like an extension nut but has a hole along one side for the wires to pass through. It attaches the light fitting to the ceiling mount. I've tried to upload a picture of it but it keeps failing, I think I need to do 6 posts before I can upload things.

I've not been able to find one anywhere and I dont even know what they're called:blush5:!

Any help in finding a replacement would be much appreciated.

Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
without a pic, we're struggling. there are so many different types of fixing. might be a better idea to get a new fitting. they're cheap as chips these days.

Or down to the boot sale and pair the assembly up from from a 50p fitting.

pic should be low resolution. only a few kB.

Try a hosting site such as photobucket.

Right, finally managed to get a picture uploaded, thanks for the advice.
This is the nut that's causing me so many problems:smilewinkgrin:

Ceiling Light Fixture P1020303 - EletriciansForums.netCeiling Light Fixture P1020304 - EletriciansForums.net

Take it into your local Lamberts or similar engineering hardware stockist and I'm sure they will match you up with something similar. Any idea what the thread size is?

What is the purpose of the gap ? can you "spot" three nuts together cutting the middle one in half if you need the gap?

What is the purpose of the gap ? can you "spot" three nuts together cutting the middle one in half if you need the gap?

I think he needs the gap for some of the wires to pass through. A longer nut could be adapted if a "V" were cut into the mid section. My only concern is that it's a non-standard thread size.

I thought that about the gap. I think the threads are probably metric, depends on how badly he want's the fitting and if he has a tap and die set lol.

Yeah it's hard to say , looks like it has had abuse to have snapped like that , easy enough to thread a bit of tube and and make one up though if you have the gear.

I would tend to see if you could find a coupling nut of the same thread and drill a hole in the side for the cable. I think cable barrel nuts would not come in the required size.
As Guitarist says, probably a special, I have not seen one quite like that before.
Though I do think I have seen something but I think it was an externally threaded rod not internally threaded.

Most of them are , I just hate them. Especially the types with the two flush side screws. Sooner wire a 10mm shower switch in a dark corner lol.

Could be BSF/BSW but the flat on the threads could be American Sellers thread which is very similar to Whitworth. Very odd, cast nut with an inherent weak spot.

Thanks for all the input.

Its a standard 10mm thread. I took it to a hardware store today and the gentleman there was very helpful but hadn't seen anything like it before. He's given me a much stronger brass fitting as he agrees it's a very poor and brittle design, like Guitarist he was 'cynical'! There is no hole in it so it will require drilling, which could be challenging.

Reply to Ceiling Light Fixture in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock