Discuss Ceiling light problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KCarter90

Hi all,

As stated, currently having a problem with my ceiling light. I recently went about trying to change my ceiling fixture which I have never had a problem doing before. as far as I'm aware minimal wiring is required and the job is relatively straightforward forward.

Now, the lights don't work. both living room and bedroom (I live in a flat and these are the only two ceiling lights).
The RCD switch on the fuse box turns off & will only remain on if I switch the 'lighting' switch on the fuse box.

I have attached a couple of pictures. basically, the live and neutral wires you see, I wired those to the corresponding parts on the light fixture, but it's just now working. it did work, briefly a few times & I put that down to loose wires (the fixture did not have a brilliant means of attaching to the ceiling). So it would turn on (then presumably the wires would come loose) & lights off, RCD switch off. So I swapped it back to a very standard light fixture thinking it'll have no problem working. But nothing.

If anyone can assist that'd be great,
Thank you.

20161109_192029.jpg

20161109_192039.jpg

20161109_192134.jpg

20161109_192145.jpg

I think that will be the hook to hang things on. The RCD switches off because there is an unwanted connection between earth and the other conductors. With the circuit safely isolated, have a look at the earth wires, gently move them to create an air gap to the other wires and the hook. And try to get all the bare blue wire into the terminal and tighten all terminals. Then RCD on then MCB on then switch light on.

I agree it is the hanging hook. Looks connected okay, maybe you have damaged the conductors with the hook and as Wilko says created a connection to the earths.

Yeah I put the hook in myself, I'd never considered that I could have caught the cables with it.
I'll have a look tomorrow & have a fiddle around (with the circuit isolated).
Thanks for your replies

Still no luck. I've rewired both lights from the bedroom and lounge using diagrams i found on the B&Q website. I flick the light switch to on on the fuse box & the rcd switch flicks down. Lounge Light has three main 'cables' coming down (in the picture the earth hasn't been wired but i've tried it with it wired up) & the bedroom light has two main cables coming down. I would agree with anyone who says the lounge light looks a mess (missing the plastic parts) it just happened. But i believe ive wired them correctly. Any ideas?

On a side note; in desperation i pressed a button on the fuse box that reads 'press t to test' and since then, the rcd switch wont come on even with the light switch off...

Im sure there's got to be a trick i'm missing here...

20161114_160639.jpg

20161116_162145.jpg

20161116_162223.jpg

20161116_162250.jpg

Whilst the cabling appears to be correct we cannot tell for sure from this end as things may have been set up incorrectly initially.

The method you are using for the first light pictured almost guarantees that some of those connectors will touch something earthed, you need to replace the partial ceiling rose with terminal blocks or lever action connections.

If the RCD will reset when the lighting circuit is off in the consumer unit then there is a fault from live to earth. If the light switch has failed then it may be from switched live but the indicators are that the permanent live is contacting earth at some point.
If you have all the cables in place but do not have the light fittings connected and the RCD still trips then the fault is in the wiring somewhere and you would need to identify this before going any further. If it requires the lights to be connected but not in fixed place then there is a fault with the lights, if it requires the lights to be fitted to the ceiling to cause the fault then the ceiling wiring is touching the body of the light.

It may be an idea to get an electrician in because those connections aren't looking great and hopefully they will enable a better means of connecting the lights.

Reply to Ceiling light problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net