Discuss Ceiling light wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Phil2203

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, moved into a house a few years ago and they left a really nice ceiling light. However it made a buzzing noise when on and kept cutting out. Presumably overheating. Can anyone talk me through rewiring it as I'd like to get it working. Pics to follow. Thanks
[automerge]1588182941[/automerge]
Hi all, moved into a house a few years ago and they left a really nice ceiling light. However it made a buzzing noise when on and kept cutting out. Presumably overheating. Can anyone talk me through rewiring it as I'd like to get it working. Pics to follow. Thanks

Last edited:
If it makes a buzzing noise and intermittently cuts out when on, then it might suggest it has an extra low voltage transformer built in that is possibly failing.

Best to get a new fitting unless you feel competent to diagnose and rectify the problem by rebuilding the light fitting.

If it makes a buzzing noise and intermittently cuts out when on, then it might suggest it has an extra low voltage transformer built in that is possibly failing.

Best to get a new fitting unless you feel competent to diagnose and rectify the problem by rebuilding the light fitting.
Thanks for the reply. Struggling to upload pics here. So its 3 mr11 lamps. The tails on the lamp holders look like they've been soldered onto the original wire then goes into a 20-60va transformer. I'm not too clued up on electrics but can usually do the basics well

You shouldn’t get that if the file is a true image file like jpg, bmp, png etc.
the easiest way is to take pic on your phone and select the image using the attach file button.

We are assuming you haven’t taken the old fitting down yet....
When you do, you could have any number of wiring systems up there.

Take a photograph, or note down what goes where before disconnecting anything!!

Depends on how the house is wired, you may just have a switched live and a neutral... nice and easy.
But, you may have a looped live above the fitting.... this should be in a connector on its own and not electrically connected to the fitting.
The trouble with this arrangement is that the cables going to the fitting are possibly the same colour. Hopefully one is marked by tape or sleeving to distinguish it as the switched live, any others being neutral.

You shouldn’t get that if the file is a true image file like jpg, bmp, png etc.
the easiest way is to take pic on your phone and select the image using the attach file button.
Yes that's what I'm trying, still no joy...
[automerge]1588237611[/automerge]
We are assuming you haven’t taken the old fitting down yet....
When you do, you could have any number of wiring systems up there.

Take a photograph, or note down what goes where before disconnecting anything!!

Depends on how the house is wired, you may just have a switched live and a neutral... nice and easy.
But, you may have a looped live above the fitting.... this should be in a connector on its own and not electrically connected to the fitting.
The trouble with this arrangement is that the cables going to the fitting are possibly the same colour. Hopefully one is marked by tape or sleeving to distinguish it as the switched live, any others being neutral.
Yes I've took down the fitting. Theres some tape on the switched live and I've tried a regular pendant on it and that works fine.

To my untrained eye it's either how the lamp holders have been soldered onto the cable or the transformer. Is it much work to rewire the fitting? any YouTube links? Thanks again guys

Last edited:
You could try putting the image on a site like post image and linking to the shortcut that they provide.
hard to advise unless we can see pix.

Thanks, had no idea you could do that. The wires in the choc bloc between the light and the transformer were all frayed so I've stripped and crimped them. Seem to be working ok up to now but time will tell

Thanks, had no idea you could do that. The wires in the choc bloc between the light and the transformer were all frayed so I've stripped and crimped them. Seem to be working ok up to now but time will tell
I just heard from Admin that the site has problem uploading images, since an upgrade. It’s supposed to be fixed tomorrow.

Right, so I'm going to rewire the fitting. How do attach the new lamp holders to the fitting. Its currently soldered but looks a bit of a mess, would crimping not be better?

You have two problems
1. Having the join where it is will fail. Get new bases with long leads. Like this
GU10 or MR16 LAMP HOLDERS 240V/12V 140mm or 300mm Extra Long LAMPHOLDER

then the join will be in the base

2. that unit uses 12v halogen lamps. These are bring discontinued.
yoy can get 12v LED lamps, but the Tamlight transformer is not suitable for LED so you’d need to buy a LED driver.

Best to change the bases to GU10 and use mains LED lamps.
or even better, throw it away and buy a whole new LEDfitting.

#update# so I've replaced the lamps with some mr16 leds. Replaced the transformer with a led driver. Now when the lights on it flickers. Take a lamp out and 2 out of 3 work fine.

It really would be a whole lot easier just to replace the whole fitting but the lights look really good in the kitchen

#update# so I've replaced the lamps with some mr16 leds. Replaced the transformer with a led driver. Now when the lights on it flickers. Take a lamp out and 2 out of 3 work fine.
What was the rating of the LED driver?

Most of those MR16 bulbs are 5W so for 3 of them you would need at least a 15W driver. If you have a 10W driver then you can get ones around 2.6W and 3 of them would work then.

Reply to Ceiling light wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock