Discuss Ceiling Light Wiring Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lawnny

DIY
Reaction score
I'm replacing an overhead light in a kitchen. There are two bundles coming out of the ceiling. Both have a black, a white, and a ground wire. The light fixture has a black, a white, and a ground wire. What should we do with the two sets coming out of the ceiling?IMG-8797.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you take any pictures before disconnecting the wires from old fitting?

Did you take any pictures before disconnecting the wires from old fitting?
No, unfortunately =( My husband did it and he said he doesn't remember anything. He did take off 4 wire connectors. So I'm wondering if maybe one of the bundles was just put together in a wire connector?

Four wire connectors indicates one is a switch cable but impossible to say from a distance.

I'm replacing an overhead light in a kitchen. There are two bundles coming out of the ceiling. Both have a black, a white, and a ground wire. The light fixture has a black, a white, and a ground wire. What should we do with the two sets coming out of the ceiling?View attachment 60764
Lawnny what you have is 1 cable is your power and the other cable is going to the switch. I really can’t tell you which cable is the power and which cable is going to the switch. I’m not going to advise you other than call an electrician and he should be able to fix that in 5 minutes since he would have the proper test instruments to find the power cable and then they will know which is the switch leg. Good luck

I'm replacing an overhead light in a kitchen. There are two bundles coming out of the ceiling. Both have a black, a white, and a ground wire. The light fixture has a black, a white, and a ground wire. What should we do with the two sets coming out of the ceiling?View attachment 60764
This is the time to call an electrician! DIY is not the right way for you to attempt this job.
Electricity is classed as dangerous for a reason it can cause fires and electrocution. respect is needed. A photo before and you may have succeeded, may have.

Reply to Ceiling Light Wiring Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net