Discuss Ceiling lights help ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SUNNYD

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum, I was looking at a flat the other day which is beautiful, apart from these lights in the kitchen? , and for such a modern flat I don't understand why they were put in in the first place and also why they are not centred and why is there a lonesome pendant light to the right of them in a really ridiculous position? Is this going to be a really expensive job to deal with to either have them moved, or is there a cheaper way i.e.to run the power from the rose to mount a light elsewhere on the Ceiling i.e... a pendant light over a table for example, is it going to be really messy and what will be the state of the ceiling afterwards. I can just about change a light bulb ?..... could this be a DIY job with careful instruction, or will I need a qualified electrician and roughly how much would this cost? Hope that all makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Ceiling lights help ? IMG_20190907_170455 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Difficult to answer. It could be an easy diy job, but equally it could require a bit more experience.

I or you would not know until the old lights where taken down.
Thank you, do you know what the connection would look like roughly underneath the strip lights would it be be like a pendant fitting?
Also say that you choose not to use the connections once those lights are taken down, how do you shut the wires off and hide the hole in the ceiling.

The fluorescent lights are not in the centre of the room so they can light up the worktop without casting a shadow of whoever is standing at it.

Presumably the table is not fixed so whoever put the pendant light up would not have known what location the table was going to be.

The fluorescent lights are not in the centre of the room so they can light up the worktop without casting a shadow of whoever is standing at it.
Ok thank you, how difficult would it be to take them down and put a a lighting bar there instead? Thanks

Thank you, do you know what the connection would look like roughly underneath the strip lights would it be be like a pendant fitting?
Also say that you choose not to use the connections once those lights are taken down, how do you shut the wires off and hide the hole in the ceiling.
It could be that the loop in is at the fluorescent or the switch. As said no way of knowing until light is down.

There are a number of different ways to wire up lighting circuits.

If you’ve got a linevneutral and earth on one cable. Easy.

But if you’ve got a permanent live in /permanent live out/ switched live to switch and another return switch live to another light. Not so easy for diy.

Ok thank you very much for your advice??
[automerge]1567875646[/automerge]
If you’ve got a linevneutral and earth on one cable. Easy.

But if you’ve got a permanent live in /permanent live out/ switched live to switch and another return switch live to another light. Not so easy for diy.
Thank you for the advice

Being a flat, there’s no access above I’m guessing.
You might also find the wiring is done in conduit, which can add to the complexity.
Yes you are right, there isn't loft access.... getting a horrible feeling that this could be a very big deal?

not too big a deal. replace florrys with some nice LED fittings, ditch the pendant. half a day's work.

Two 4 spotlight bars with gu10 lamps in place of the fluo’s.... point the lights where you need ‘em
It can depend where the cables enter the back of the striplights. Dead centre or more to one end or the other.

not too big a deal. replace florrys with some nice LED fittings, ditch the pendant. half a day's work.
Thank you ????
[automerge]1567897913[/automerge]
Two 4 spotlight bars with gu10 lamps in place of the fluo’s.... point the lights where you need ‘em
It can depend where the cables enter the back of the striplights. Dead centre or more to one end or the other.
Thank you very much, I was considering keeping the rose for a pendant light over the table.
[automerge]1567898141[/automerge]
Thanks ??
[automerge]1567898206[/automerge]
You may find that the ceiling is a dropped MF plasterboard ceiling with a void above.
Ok thanks ??

Last edited:
As Tel. You may be able to run two LED spotlight bars perpendicular to the existing strip lights depending on where the cable comes out along the length of the strip lights.

If you don't mind me asking is this rented or shared ownership because it looks like a H.A spec?
Hi, no it's private, is there a difference normally then?
[automerge]1567944992[/automerge]
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum, I was looking at a flat the other day which is beautiful, apart from these lights in the kitchen? , and for such a modern flat I don't understand why they were put in in the first place and also why they are not centred and why is there a lonesome pendant light to the right of them in a really ridiculous position? Is this going to be a really expensive job to deal with to either have them moved, or is there a cheaper way i.e.to run the power from the rose to mount a light elsewhere on the Ceiling i.e... a pendant light over a table for example, is it going to be really messy and what will be the state of the ceiling afterwards. I can just about change a light bulb ?..... could this be a DIY job with careful instruction, or will I need a qualified electrician and roughly how much would this cost? Hope that all makes sense. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 51955

Attachments

• Ceiling lights help ? IMG_20190908_130629 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20190908_130629.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Reply to Ceiling lights help ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock