Discuss Ceiling Rose light to modern light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JamesL1892

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wish to replace a ceiling rose light with a modern light. The current wiring to ceiling rose is as follows:

1 - live (blue and red)
1 - earth (green and yellow)
1- natural (blue)
2 - loops (brown)

My new light fixture only has Connectors for

1 - live
1- natural
1 - earth

I am thinking I can wire the existing live wire and natural cables to respective connectors and use a wago connector to connect the two lopped wires.

Will this work?

Ceiling Rose light to modern light 2B2EF41A-CA40-4761-8390-51EA4DB06977 - EletriciansForums.net

Ceiling Rose light to modern light 57D7BB81-F3E5-4BB4-9BE4-973A0DCCCAC2 - EletriciansForums.net

middle terminal is permanent L (2 x browns).
bottom is N (1 from supply and 1 to light)
top is switched L (blue with red sleeve, and brown to light).
if making wago connections above ceiling, they should be enclosed inside a wagobox, with none of the basic insulation (brown/blue etc.) outside the box.
make sure the earths are connected . depending on your new fitting, this may or may not need earthing. manufacturers instructions will say.

Thank you all for your replies.

It’s been suggested to me that I should use the connector block from the old ceiling rose bracket and stick that in the top of the new light to close the loop.

is that a terrible idea?

all depend on the new fitting. if there's room to make connections in it,(wagos) then the fitting itself provides the enclosure for the connections. don't forget that a wago connects 2 or more of the same. not like a choc block :eek:

Hey guys this is the finished article.

What does everyone think. Any issues?

I’ve left the connector in the enclosure and wired as described in this thread.

Three questions I mainly want to ask:

1) it was quite a squeeze to get the earth in, does it look okay?

2) the earth has two copper wires of varied length and only one is secured in the terminal block. Is that an issue?

3) should I want somebody to check the wiring should kill the switch to the downstairs lights when not in use?

I’ve never touched electrics before so understandably I’m not confident!

Ceiling Rose light to modern light 91F8A5D6-113E-4885-9E15-D55067EB57BF - EletriciansForums.net

Ceiling Rose light to modern light 25D0E0DF-D5D2-4299-BE9E-238239E19982 - EletriciansForums.net

Ceiling Rose light to modern light BDF69F4C-46FE-4D1A-A89C-7B4909F0DDAA - EletriciansForums.net

Ceiling Rose light to modern light AB85283B-2DEE-49B2-8233-3F3F3D12E1BB - EletriciansForums.net

Ceiling Rose light to modern light 01676B5F-70B1-45E6-8ABC-A582B148F29E - EletriciansForums.net

Ceiling Rose light to modern light 8A5854E2-BA5C-466A-B98A-FCE09F8724D9 - EletriciansForums.net

Ceiling Rose light to modern light 66C75EEE-F0F9-4A2C-B365-9C738C887A61 - EletriciansForums.net

Ceiling Rose light to modern light DDAEAF8A-64CB-4396-9D8A-B3F996381F11 - EletriciansForums.net

Both earth strands must be securely fixed I to the connector. And there is a bit too much bare copper showing on that switched live.

Having said that, I've seen worse.

Apologies. I meant that it was good that there was no exposed copper at the Wago, but a little bit elsewhere which might benefit from tidying up.

Would you recommend coiling the one strand around the longer piece or cutting the large one to size?

I would make it so that both strands fit comfortably next to each other in the terminal without having to pull them. Then tighten up nice and tight.

Hi all. Since fitting this light. I’ve had one bulb go (within a couple of months)
And today a second one keeps blinking/flickering. It’s the bulb that does this. If I move the bulb around to a different bulb socket it’s the same result.

is there an explanation for this?

never previously had any issues with flickering anywhere else in the house or with previous bulb.

any ideas are appreciated

Hi all. Since fitting this light. I’ve had one bulb go (within a couple of months)
And today a second one keeps blinking/flickering. It’s the bulb that does this. If I move the bulb around to a different bulb socket it’s the same result.

is there an explanation for this?

never previously had any issues with flickering anywhere else in the house or with previous bulb.

any ideas are appreciated
Duff Lamp I expect

Reply to Ceiling Rose light to modern light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock