Discuss Ceiling wiring got me worried in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I took down a kitchen light fitting and expected to fit the new one the same way - nope, nothing so easy eh? I am NOT an electrician but equally really don't want to pay the £100 to have someone come and do something I am sure I can do myself given a bit of advice.

The light fitting has just a L and N fitting so sorting out so many wires has got me puzzled. There is no ceiling rose either.

20190311_125202.jpg - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X-v8eknbivtEBWl0YZRZmDobISkCAjB7

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Ceiling wiring got me worried 20190311_125202 - EletriciansForums.net

It's frowned upon to give step by step advice Tony, but what you have there seems to be a live pair (LandN) in and out and a switch pair L and SL going to the switch.
Not a difficult job for an Electrician to figure out which is which cable goes where, with the right equipment.
So the advice is get a Sparks to fit the new light for you, to be honest saying you don't want to spend £100 getting someone to do it for you is in my opinion false economy, what value do you put on your house catching fire or more importantly you ending up in Hospital, suffering from burns from an electric shock, they hurt I know I have had one or two in my lifetime, post your whereabouts and maybe a forum member could help you out.

It would have been wise to note where each wire was connected before disconnecting. Maybe even mark them up with a sharpie.

Also, it doesn't seem a good idea to come on to a forum full of electricians and basically say 'I don't want to pay you to do this job, so can you give me some free advice'.

As above you’ll need some test gear and a basic understanding to locate the switch wire....failing that you’ll need a spark, I think ££50 would be a bit nearer the mark for that job

Thanks Pete999...but I like to learn and will remember for future reference. Not so much penny pinching as wanting to be able to do it myself. I have a meter and am ready to go.
You can always learn by watching and asking questions of a professional, but don't get in the way, there are some about who will take umbridge, so always ask questions by asking the engineer if he doesn't mind you being a bit nosey.

If the wiring in the first place is correct, the 3 reds go together. The 3 bare copper in green and yello sleeping go together.
That leaves you with 3 blacks. 1 is switch live.... the other 2 are neutrals. You’ve got a 1 in 3 chance of picking the right one. Get it wrong and the switch will basically create a live to neutral short circuit and give off an almighty bang.

So you got to ask yourself.... do you feel lucky, punk? Well.... do ya?

Or get a tester and work out which is the switchwire. This can be done with the power off.

Thanks Pete999...but I like to learn and will remember for future reference. Not so much penny pinching as wanting to be able to do it myself. I have a meter and am ready to go.

It's not wise to learn electrics by having a go and seeing what happens, occasionally people die in a rather painful manner as a result of this approach.

What sort of meter is it? An approved voltage indicator or a multimeter?

Ceiling wiring got me worried {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

its dark now .LOL .;)

Reply to Ceiling wiring got me worried in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock