Discuss Ceiling wiring got me worried in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Looks like 2 neutrals 3 in loop and 1 switch live. If you find out which is which loop in connector and neutrals Earths and switch live connect to light

It would have been wise to note where each wire was connected before disconnecting. Maybe even mark them up with a sharpie.

Also, it doesn't seem a good idea to come on to a forum full of electricians and basically say 'I don't want to pay you to do this job, so can you give me some free advice'.
I don't want to pay for a regs book and have a day off work to take a regs exam and CSCS every couple of years but I have to (others on here have to pay to belong to a scheme).

1. Spend a little time researching wiring diagrams and electrical safety.

2. Trace where as much of the cables run to as possible.

3. Buy a voltage detector.

4. Use common sense and your new knowledge and tools to complete the task safely and sit back chuffed at your accomplishment wondering why you thought it was so hard in the first place.

There's a reason why it is considered perfectly safe and legal for a homeowner to carry out basic tasks like these with no need to notify the authorities or have it inspected.

1. Spend a little time researching wiring diagrams and electrical safety.

2. Trace where as much of the cables run to as possible.

3. Buy a voltage detector.

4. Use common sense and your new knowledge and tools to complete the task safely and sit back chuffed at your accomplishment wondering why you thought it was so hard in the first place.

There's a reason why it is considered perfectly safe and legal for a homeowner to carry out basic tasks like these with no need to notify the authorities or have it inspected.
yeah, but that's for home owners that realise that electricity can kill, is more complicated than plumbing....unlike shyte, electrickery don't run downhill, it runs down you.

yeah, but that's for home owners that realise that electricity can kill, is more complicated than plumbing....unlike shyte, electrickery don't run downhill, it runs down you.

I'm pretty sure anyone competent enough to register on and start a new thread on a forum will be sane enough to realise the dangers presented by mains electricity.

I'm pretty sure anyone competent enough to register on and start a new thread on a forum will be sane enough to realise the dangers presented by mains electricity.

I dunno; think someone once said that Albert Einstein had so much intelligence, he could predict where an asteroid would strike the Earth, but wouldn't have the common sense to get out of the way. :)

Hi all,

I took down a kitchen light fitting and expected to fit the new one the same way - nope, nothing so easy eh? I am NOT an electrician but equally really don't want to pay the £100 to have someone come and do something I am sure I can do myself given a bit of advice.

The light fitting has just a L and N fitting so sorting out so many wires has got me puzzled. There is no ceiling rose either.

20190311_125202.jpg - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X-v8eknbivtEBWl0YZRZmDobISkCAjB7

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

View attachment 48265
Read up on Loop In and Loop Out.

Here's a thought for the Op. Once connected all back and working - is the job really done? Most DIYers think 'working' is enough and they are handy at electrics - but this is just a functional check. How do you know it'll stop working if there is a fault? This is the purpose of the testing, it confirms to the electrician that the circuit is within tolerance to operate the protective devices in place, it's physics not magic.

Light fittings again, diy's always dismantle then? So follow pete999 advice it's sound and excellent value. Hey magnoliafan89 dump the choc blocks and get some wago's the new way, you won't regret it.

I went to a house fire caused by an incompetent diy’er doing the same thing, just changing a kitchen light fitting. He connected all the Blacks together and all the Reds and turned it on. It didn’t blow the fuse as he had rewireable fuses wired in very heavy copper wire, this caused the cable to get very hot under the floorboards catching things alight. He learned a lesson, get the professionals in and pay the small fee.

Reply to Ceiling wiring got me worried in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock