Discuss central heating or electric heating? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a quick question. I live in a ground floor 1 bed flat. The building is pretty old, the wall on the front/right side & back is brick , no insulation what so ever. I have 1 large radiator in the open plan kitchen/living room and 1 radiator in the bedroom, I also have a hive smart thermostat.

The difference in temp in opposite corners in the same room is night and day. On the one side near the bathroom/bedroom the room stat will show a temp above 21-23. If I place the thermostat in the opposite corner I am lucky if the temp goes over 21 ( both scenarios is with the heating on ).

In winter I need to basically run the boiler constantly in order to maintain the heat within the flat, due to the poor insulation and the brick walls. ( when I am home )

My question is would it be more efficient?

I have a dimplex cadiz eco 2kw oil free heater.

Will it be cheaper for me to run the dimplex for the main room, Kitchen/living room or do I run the boiler/central heating?

Thanks in advance for all your views and answers.

Gas is about ⅓ the price of electricity on a kWh basis... allowing for some inefficiencies in the boiler/pipework etc. it's still significantly cheaper than electricity... so if it was me... I'd use the gas heating. You need to throw some real world numbers particular to you and your flat into a calculator to work out how much cheaper... but it's still cheaper.

gas is cheaper than leccy. a wood stove with radiators, burning any old scrap wood, tyres, Ikea furniture, ex-wives, is even cheaper.

If it is your flat good insulation would be an advantage to any methods you decide on . You may even get a grant towards the costs.

Reply to central heating or electric heating? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net