Discuss Central heating problem (UK) in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My dilemma: I have Gas central heating ('S-Plan' with two port valves. Hot cylinder also has an immersion heater). No activity at the relevant zone valve when 'calling' for hot water.
Powering the Immersion heater does activate the hot water zone valve. I have a non-vented cylinder, fitted during a bathroom refurbish.
Any help appreciated. Vaughn.

My dilemma: I have Gas central heating ('S-Plan' with two port valves. Hot cylinder also has an immersion heater). No activity at the relevant zone valve when 'calling' for hot water.
Powering the Immersion heater does activate the hot water zone valve. I have a non-vented cylinder, fitted during a bathroom refurbish.
Any help appreciated. Vaughn.
The immersion has nothing to do with the two port valve. You need to work through the sequence of switching....programmer when calling for heat sends power to the cylinder thermostat, the cylinder thermostat then sends power to the brown of the two port valve if it’s calling for heat, the two port valve then opens and when opening it closes the micro switch between grey and orange of the two port, the orange then switches the boiler. As it’s an unvented cylinder you will also have a high limit thermostat wired in series which will have a reset on it. If the high limit thermostat needs resetting then you need to find out why.....If you have an approved voltage indicator, knowledge of the order of switching then it should be easy to find why it’s not firing the boiler.

Hi - has the CH been working properly till recently? Any other changes or work done? It is usual for the standby immersion heater to be independent of the boiler and valves. It’s usually a 3kW heating element with its own thermostat, but I might have misunderstood:) .

I had to read and re-read, then it twigged, if the immersion heater heats the cylinder then the thermostat for the central heating boiler will open so the motorised valve will close.

But there is no electrical connecting between the two systems.

I would guess the micro switch has failed in the motorised valve, I would also guess if central heating running then DHW also gets hot, it just will not start the boiler?

Many motorised valves can have head replaced without replacing the whole valve.

It is possible that the immersion has been wired in to the stat terminals on the cylinder.
Switching on immersion would activate valve if this was the case.

Just to clarify:
Is there no power to the powerhead? Problem not in the zone valve if so.

Hard to say, is the valve or the assembly sticking?

Get all the information, including valve name, model, serial numbers, and pipe size. On multiple installations, you must state which valve failed and tag it.
Ask around for a service guy.

Reply to Central heating problem (UK) in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock