Discuss central island sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-
Reaction score
been doing other things to try and get more strings to the bow for the last three years so it has been a while. I am in the process of going through drawings for a large extension, and one of the requests from the custommer is for two sockets on a kitchen central island. The whole kitchen is going to be new so my intention was to do the following:-
new kitchen to be on its own dedicated ring main from new consummer unit proected by RCD. everything ok so far, but intended getting supply to isand by providing a switched fuse unit on the ring, and taking some 2.5 twin and earth from that means of protection on a radial to the two sockets. Intend running this cable in earthed steel conduit down the wall, through the screed floor and then up to the underside of where the island shoud be.

has anyone done this recently as i worry about the esthetics of what it will look like, even though the only visible part will be under the island.
I had seen one where the steel terminated at screed level, and protection to the cable by some flexilble trunking that then went up to the unit. That to me seemed fine.

also any really nice island sockets available that have been used and recommended?

any comments on the above would be greatly appreciated.

sounds a good plan. might be better to use singles through the conduit

I think what something looks like once it's been done can only be up to you and the quality of your design and workmanship.

As for Island sockets - I saw some great ones that are like a vertical 4-way that 'pops-up' from a flush fitting - so when down the island is totally clean and flush. Customer found them on the web, I've not seen them at a wholesalers before. If you find some then do let me know!! Make sure they are to British Standards, though.

I think what something looks like once it's been done can only be up to you and the quality of your design and workmanship.

As for Island sockets - I saw some great ones that are like a vertical 4-way that 'pops-up' from a flush fitting - so when down the island is totally clean and flush. Customer found them on the web, I've not seen them at a wholesalers before. If you find some then do let me know!! Make sure they are to British Standards, though.

I have fit these things, no problems, they are a very expensive glorified extension lead. You just need a single socket outlet to plug it into. Some even come with USB ports so you can charge up your Ipods etc.

Cheers..........Howard

All those pop-up socket outlet fittings that i've seen don't seal to the worktop either in the up or down position. So if you intend using them, make sure they are mounted away from where any liquid spillages are liable to occur. How about cut-in flush twin outlets, at each end panel of the Island Unit??

kitchens International had these at a house I worked on a while ago they are like a 4g extension and only capable of 13a Ideal for a couple of things on center island and not used much

im doing exact same job at present and we plan too extend ring into the island in heavy gauge pvc conduit using singles. there will be a mini shaft if you wanna call it that for drainage and all. so your conduit be nicely beside that. as for the pop up sockets there no ggod to me as he doesnt want me too cut hole in his granite so well let them decide where they want them now. i aint seen kitchen pics yet.

in process of wirring my island wooden floor boards though, part of ring circuit comming up from underneath into cupboards, havent thought much on where they are going. don't like push up extention lead.don't want side sockets as 18 month old child can pull trailing leads.
wooden worktop that dont realy want to cut into unless have to.

i really appreciate all your help on this especially over the socket outlets. I think i will go for the steel in the screed and bring it up into ther units in trunking. its been a long time since i've discussed such things. very refreshing. many thanks

I've always used PVC conduit buried in the floor. Considering that on all the installs i've done you can see both ends of the conduit so you know where the conduit runs and the circuit has 30mA RCD protection then it's fine IMO. The likely hood of someone drilling a fixing in to the middle of a kitchen floor is virtually non existant anyway as who is likely to create a trip hazard near an island that is designed to be walked around.

Reply to central island sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock