Discuss Certificate for Domestic Alarm Panel in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bear

-
Reaction score
Hi there.

My Dad is a sparky and ex SSEB and has just installed a Security alarm in a domestic property, and the customer want a certificate for the insurance company, Any ideas what she means or what the insurance companey means??

I thought it might be Fire Detection and Alarm System Certificates, or it might be part of the Minor Works Certificate..

Any ideas.

Just a domestic security alarm, PIRs Door magnets and Bell, thats all

A new system

Last edited:
I think that they might mean an SEBB certificate for the actually alarm system so that it conforms. Though what these look like and involve is a mystery to me.

As for the LV side then you don't need anything unless he fitted a spur (NIEWC) or a new circuit (EIC)

They probably want a NACOSS or SSAIB certificate and a copy of the spec of the alarm. I assume the request for this is for a discount on the insurance premium to maintain the discount after the first year requires a maintenance contract to be in place which normally costs alot more than the discount received. I would suggest talking to the customer as the extra costs they would incur with a NACOSS or SSAIB system may not be worth it unless the insurance company have conditions in place to cover a particular risk

They probably want a NACOSS or SSAIB certificate and a copy of the spec of the alarm. I assume the request for this is for a discount on the insurance premium to maintain the discount after the first year requires a maintenance contract to be in place which normally costs alot more than the discount received. I would suggest talking to the customer as the extra costs they would incur with a NACOSS or SSAIB system may not be worth it unless the insurance company have conditions in place to cover a particular risk

SSAIB ...................nearly right but in my defence must be about 5 yrs since I had anything to do with intruder alarms ...........thanks UNG

There was a fused spur fitted i think that the SSAIB would only apply if it was connected to the phone line and contacted the police???? i think.

Last edited:
Certification can be issued on bells only systems and would / should be issued by approved installers. Normally systems installed by approved installers are monitored by a central station who inform the police (if they have a URN) and keyholders when an activation occurs these systems require initial certification and a bi-annual maintenance visit. The Police will only issue Unique Reference Numbers (URN's) to approved installers

From past experience of connected systems the police response is very hit and miss and with the impending cuts will only get worse

As an aside, if there are any names going on the cert for the alarm you MUST make sure they have insurance in place.

Failure to perform springs to mind as if this does happen, their home insurance may not pay out, so they will come to you instead.

As an aside, if there are any names going on the cert for the alarm you MUST make sure they have insurance in place.

Failure to perform springs to mind as if this does happen, their home insurance may not pay out, so they will come to you instead.

It's called efficacy insurance usually required to be part of an approval scheme you would also need insurance for wrongful advice for the system not being designed correctly or doing what you say it will

If you are going down that route I would suggest using panels where you can print off the program details so that you have a record of how it was programmed if problems arise from tampering

Looks like the customer is at the ham beause he has got an alarm installed and tried to get a discount on his policy the only thing is the insurance company will insist that he has his alarm system under a "maintenance contract" so they will knock £25 of the policy but here is the rub if he goes on holiday and his teenage son cannot be ***** to set the system and he get broken into the his policy is null and void even if he pops next door for a cup of tea and a custard cream and does not set it yep null and void so as one of my customers said I pay an alarm company £120 a year and yes ok if it breaks down they will repair it for free but if I dont take my insurance discount of £25 and get you in to service / repair as and when required then I dont have to worry if my son has set it when I go on holiday and I am fully insured.
If anybody read the papers last week insurance companies wil not pay out a claim if you lock an external door (front ,back, patio) and you leave the key in the lock then get broken into so be warned take the key out if not then you have contributed to your break in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Certificate for Domestic Alarm Panel in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock