Discuss Certificate of competency in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
What is it and what does it involve getting one.
I am a qualified leccy to the 16th edition of the regs.
For the last ten years I have been living in France as a card carrying leccy.
I am in the throes of having an extension built on to our bungalow and will be doing the electrics myself.
We have just had to return the 'start up' form to the building regs people. The bottom bit of the form asks who is doing the electrics ie what company or if its not a company does the person doing the work have a certificate of competency.
So what is this certificate and how does one get I get one?
I have been on to the buildings regs site and it says
Quote:

• Competent persons who only infrequently carry out work in domestic premises need not register with a competent persons self-certification scheme. However if they are not registered they must notify building control before carrying out the work and should meet all of the requirements of BS 7671 regarding design, installation, inspection and testing, and certification.
  • DIY electrical work is not to be encouraged, however where a householder wishes to carry out electrical work they must notify building control before commencing work. Building control will arrange for the work to be, inspected and tested at various stages and will charge a fee to cover any costs incurred.
There is no requirement to join a scheme. It will be perfectly acceptable to submit building notices to the local authority. It will be a matter for each individual electrical contracting firm to decide which of the above two routes to compliance would be best for their business.

So??

Basically, if you are not a member of a competent person scheme (part P registered), then you must get your local building control involved in any notifiable electrical work, and they will sign it off. This will cost a fee which varies between councils.
Btw, we work to the 17th edition of the regs now (1st amendment).

To join a CPS you will need several things, including the C&G 17th edition certificate, 2 million pounds public liability, calibrated test equipment, plus numerous other things. You also have to have notifiable work to show them for your half-day assessment.
The 3 main scheme providers are Elecsa, NICEIC and NAPIT. If you look on their websites, you will see what is needed.

Last edited:
Yes I know that todays leccys work to the 17th edition so is that a problem me being qualified to the 16th edition?
I thought it was just a matter of buying a 17th edition and boning up on the amendments what ever they are.
Electricity is electricity.
OK so geezer turns up to inspect and sign off so whats he inspecting?
Yes I know he's doing instalation checks but he must check specifics?

Yes I know that todays leccys work to the 17th edition so is that a problem me being qualified to the 16th edition?
I thought it was just a matter of buying a 17th edition and boning up on the amendments what ever they are.
Electricity is electricity.

OK so geezer turns up to inspect and sign off so whats he inspecting?
Yes I know he's doing instalation checks but he must check specifics?

You seem to have it all sorted then :)

You seem to have it all sorted then :)
Not necessarily thats why I asked the question.
So anyone qualified to the 16th edition and no longer able to do leccy work then is that what you are saying?
I'm happy doing the work I just don't want some jobsworth giving me grief.
So does that mean If I need a cert of competence I have to be a millionaire?

If you don't know the 17th Ed Wiring regulations then you may not install correctly - things have changed!

If you chose to do it then as you have found out you must tell building control, and then with the fee you pay them they will get another electrician to test/inspect your work. In some cases you fees don't cover the BC costs so they may not even send an electrician out.

You can always call BC and discuss, explain your experience etc.

If you don't know the 17th Ed Wiring regulations then you may not install correctly - things have changed!

If you chose to do it then as you have found out you must tell building control, and then with the fee you pay them they will get another electrician to test/inspect your work. In some cases you fees don't cover the BC costs so they may not even send an electrician out.

You can always call BC and discuss, explain your experience etc.
OK so things change.
I'm wiring up a kitchen and utility room.
The kitchen is having a dedicated ring mainin 2.5 TWE. Sockets at work top level powered by 32 amp MCB.
Dedicated cooker circuit 16 mm with 40 amp MCB. Utility room for freezer dedicated circuit of 2.5 TWE with 16 or 20 amp MCB. Washing machine the same dedicated circuit 2.5 TWE with 16 or 20 amp MCB.
Storage heater circuit again 2.5 TWE with 20 amp MCB.Lighting is already there as it was a sun room before its conversion but may be re vamped in 1.5 TWE to the existing lighting circuit.
I shall earth bond the water pipes back to the source.
Missed anything?

OK so things change.
I'm wiring up a kitchen and utility room.
The kitchen is having a dedicated ring mainin 2.5 TWE. Sockets at work top level powered by 32 amp MCB.
Dedicated cooker circuit 16 mm with 40 amp MCB. Utility room for freezer dedicated circuit of 2.5 TWE with 16 or 20 amp MCB. Washing machine the same dedicated circuit 2.5 TWE with 16 or 20 amp MCB.
Storage heater circuit again 2.5 TWE with 20 amp MCB.Lighting is already there as it was a sun room before its conversion but may be re vamped in 1.5 TWE to the existing lighting circuit.
I shall earth bond the water pipes back to the source.
Missed anything?

RCD protection for all sockets (although you can omit for specifically labelled sockets that supply specific appliance(s) eg. freezer) and concealed cables.
Got a tester to fill out cert?

16mm for a 40A MCB is a bit extreme?

Yep you are right 10mm will do for the cooker not thinking.
Yes to RCDs
Nope I haven't a 'tester' I have a Fluke.
The question still is what do you need to get a cert of Competence.

Yep you are right 10mm will do for the cooker not thinking.
Yes to RCDs
Nope I haven't a 'tester' I have a Fluke.
The question still is what do you need to get a cert of Competence.

The building inspector may be happy with your qualifications . You only need to be competent. If he decides you are not competent he may get a third party to inspect and test it . If you have paid a notification fee the they will have to bear the cost of this ,not you.
It's in the part P document , you can download it free from the government site.Planning Portal - Approved Document P

hang on. first, you don't have to be a scam member to do this work, as the extension is subject to planning . therefore you don't have to pay a LABC fee, it's inclusive with the planning application. what you will probably find is that LABC will only accept you as competent if you have taken and passed the 2382. 17th Edition.

So what about the 'leccies' that are out there that got their qualifications in the 80s when I got mine ie to the 16th edition of the regs? Are you saying they are not employed as their qualifications aren't acceptable?
Thats why are asked how you get a cert of competence.

No , not saying that .Part P only applies to domestic . Read part P from the link I gave you . It tells you in there how you can comply, ie join a competent persons or go through the LABC route. It's all in there.:present:

I have already given you the websites to look at regarding what is required, along with a few other members who have given you excellent advice. I'm afraid that the confrontational way you are firing back your questions doesn't really encourage me to continue in this thread.
All the best.

Thankyou for your responses it is appreciated. I wasn't trying to be confrontational.
I understand that things have changed. I accept change but I don't accept having to pay someone exortionate amounts of money to do a job I am perfectly capable of doing myself.
I have downloaded the pdf file attributed to the site you gave me the link to. Thankyou. I admit I haven't read the 49 pages but will.
Again thankyou. Et bon chance.

Thankyou for your responses it is appreciated. I wasn't trying to be confrontational.
I understand that things have changed. I accept change but I don't accept having to pay someone exortionate amounts of money to do a job I am perfectly capable of doing myself.
I have downloaded the pdf file attributed to the site you gave me the link to. Thankyou. I admit I haven't read the 49 pages but will.

Good , but you just need to read the section on notification to give you the gist. You should be OK , it just depends who you get , some of them are ok . Best of luck anyway. Part P misses everyone of anyway , you are not alone lol.

I see I've hit the M isted of the P.

Last edited:
You are in the infancy of discovering that one way or another,whichever route you take,you now have to pay for the privelege of doing the work you were trained to do in the first instance

If that aint enough,you may yet have to face up to the scenario of someone, trained in a matter of days or weeks,overseeing and supervising your installation skills

Welcome to the UK electricians world post part p

I'm sure that you are more than capable of doing the work yourself, but the law has changed so that you can still do the work if you so wish, but there is an inspection fee involved (as the council do not know if you have your 17th edition qualification/public liability insurance/calibrated test gear). For the vast majority of professional electricians, it is more cost effective and easier to pay our scheme membership and undergo the yearly assessment, along with all the other expenses, than it is to get LBC out for every notifiable job.
Don't get me wrong here... I don't think the part P fiasco works anywhere near the way it is supposed to, but we are stuck with it, so we either conform or break the law. Sadly, I am law abiding (hence not rich).
If you have a look at the Elecsa website (see post #2), it explains fairly succinctly what is required to become a member of a "competent persons scheme".

Well after 10 years in France you've missed that joyous invention known as part p.
oh dear lol , youre not gonna a like it :)
I'd be straight back to lovely sunny France and their much simpler electricians licencing system.

Reply to Certificate of competency in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock