Discuss Certificate Required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a bathroom fitter and have been asked to provide a cert for installing a LED mirror with integrated shaver socket onto an existing shaver socket feed.
I normally get it installed and certified by an electrician when installing a new feed, but in this instance as the feed was already there I didn't think I needed one! Could someone please shed some light on the matter? TIA

Minor new works cert I would imagine, is there RCD protection for the Bathroom?

it's virtually a like-for-like replacement so IMO, a cert is optional but as sparkybird says, test to make sure it's safe.

As you are a bathroom fitter, I presume you don't have calibrated test equipment for testing the circuit, therefore no testing was done?

if he's a bathroom fitter, it's probably got wet and if it's not gone bang then it never will.

I'll throw a spanner in here, and suggest is not like for like, the new luminaire could also be in a zone, and require notification to LBC. Quite why LBC want to know whats going on in peoples bathrooms, God only knows. Noisy bar stewards them is. I'd be expecting certification.

EDIT.
Changed my mind, I was just being devils advocate. Work outside the zones that do not include a new zone are not notifiable :)

Last edited:
Helmet on. My take on this is on requirement of certificates is that all will be fine unless something goes wrong and someone gets hurt, I always complete a minor works certificate for any work I undertake irrespective of whether it is like for like, simply as proof that I have undertaken the required testing. The reason being that I used to work in the legal profession so have first hand experience of how someone can be ripped apart by a barrister in the dock or witness box! Barristers love to use the phrase 'If it wasn't written down it didn't happen'. I know some will say I write the ZS on the invoice, I do/did all the tests etc etc. When push comes a shove the best way to prove you did something is with a MWC especially when it takes about 2 minutes to complete.

EDIT.
Changed my mind, I was just being devils advocate. Work outside the zones that do not include a new zone are not notifiable :)
That was meant to be circuit lol. I think I need a lie down.

Just download some sort of minor works cert and scribble some details of the job done and who you are then give it to a.n other

To make it of any use,use soft paper only so that its purpose can be recycled to something worthwhile

Reply to Certificate Required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock