Discuss Certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

carrerasprak

I did an electrical insepection course about 3 months ago which I needed for doing a lot of spurs I was adding for projectors in schools.

The course covered everything I need for all inspection works, however I am now doing some work for a friend who had a extension put in. His electricians disappeared before even connecting it into the consumer unit. I checked all the electrics, made sure everything was safe and made a few changes to things that were below code (incorrect routing of cables).

I am going to put a new consumber unit in for him so I will need to give a certificate for the whole house too.

Regarding all the certificates he needs, what exactly do I need to give him for the council to sign his extension off?

You Need To Test The Property And Give Him A Domestic Electrical Installation Cert,all Three Pages Are Required.you Or Him Will Have To Fill In A Building Notice ,price Varies Between Councils Then When Yhe Work Is Done They Will Get Someone To Test It ,if It Fails You Will Have To Put It Right Then Pay For Retest,then They Will Issue A Completion Cert Or You Could Just Get A Part P Spark In To Do The Job,could Work Out Cheaper.

Thanks for your reply.

If I supply a completion cert when why do the council retest it? Surely if I test it and sign it off its tested.

the actual certificate is an Electrical Installation Certificate ('domestic' ones may be used by certian organisations, but they are not model forms i.a.w BS7671), and it must be accompanied by a schedule is inspections and a schedule of test results

Thanks for your reply.

If I supply a completion cert when why do the council retest it? Surely if I test it and sign it off its tested.
they will still want to test it as you are not a member of a competant person scheme ,its all about arse covering,they will want to be certain the installation complies with bs7671 and part p before isueing a completion cert.

Strictly, if you're going 'by the book' then the EIC will need to be signed by the other sparks as well, as it is supposed to be signed by the installation designers, installers and testers.

Obviously this may not be 100% practical if they didn't even hang around to connect stuff up, but realise that if you sign off on it then it's gonna be your arse on the line if something does go wrong. Obviously the T&I should flag up any issues like continuity, insulation resistance, Zs etc. but that doesn't mean there isn't horrors lurking beneath

Strictly, if you're going 'by the book' then the EIC will need to be signed by the other sparks as well, as it is supposed to be signed by the installation designers, installers and testers.

Obviously this may not be 100% practical if they didn't even hang around to connect stuff up, but realise that if you sign off on it then it's gonna be your arse on the line if something does go wrong. Obviously the T&I should flag up any issues like continuity, insulation resistance, Zs etc. but that doesn't mean there isn't horrors lurking beneath
THIS IS WHY POEPLE SHOULD USE REGISTERED ELECTRICIANS AS IT SAVES ALL THE MESSING AROUND BUT POEPLE THINK THEY ARE BEING CLEVER BY GETTING A MATE TO DO THE WORK AND SAVE MONEY IN THE PROCESS FINE,THEN MR BUILDING INSPECTOR COMES ALONG AND REFUSES TO PASS OFF THE JOB:eek:THEN THE PANIC SETS IN WHICH IS WHY I GET CALLS ALL THE TIME WANTING ME TO PASS ANOTHER BLOKES WORK OFF BECAUSE HE HAS SUDDENLY DIED OF SOME MYSTERY ILLNESS AND THEY SEEM REALLY SHOCKED WHEN YOU TELL THEM NO:D.WHEN WILL THEY LEARN.;)

Reply to Certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock