Discuss Chandelier (which has gone way off topic) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

millenniummel

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Guys,

I am a complete newbie to this forum. I am a 23 year old female who was silly enough to buy a chandelier in the sale and now i'm not sure if I am able to attach it...

I have detached the celing rose on the existing light fitting and it looks like so;

The chandelier fitting looks like this;

The bracket and bits and bobs that came with the chandelier are featured here;

And my pretty chandelier looks like this if you are intrested;

Anyway I consulted a friend of mine who is more knowledgable about DIY than I am and he is concerned because there is no visible earth wire and this is a metal chandelier. My concerns are based around the fact that it looks like I need to drill the bracket into the ceiling and I only possess two cheap woolworths screwdrivers.

Any advice or help greatly appreciated (I live in SW london if anyone wants to come do it for me hee hee).

Thanks

Mel x

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
S

Spudmiester

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Chandelier

Get a spark in love !

S

simonatlondon

Please get an electrician in. That light fitting needs to be earthed in case the chandelier ever gets a fault and the metal becomes live and some one touches it. Please for your own safety. Please let us know how you get on.

C

Cirrus

As the guys have already said. It may be if you remove the rose that tucked up in the ceiling are the earth's. However, my advice is to get a Spark in and leave it to the pro - won't cost you much but t least it will be SAFE;)

W

wattsup

SW London, I'll do it for £60.00 + £300.00 expenses..-;) a bit tooo far fo me..

But seriously, the rose is wired 3-plate, at a guess earth wires will be twisted behind the rose in the ceiling space...but hard to tell, you need to take the rose down to find out...but watch it the three reds in the centre will be live even if the light switch is turned off...pay a spark

M

millenniummel

Ok guys, I get your point. I haven't done anything very exciting about the whole business of getting this chandelier up so please don't panic. I realised another consideration is that I wouldn't be sure I wasn't attaching the bracket to a part of ceiling with any wires where I can't see them, if you see what I mean.

What do you think the cost of getting an electrician to come and do it for me will be?

I have a feeling it will cost more than the chandelier.

Mel x

PS, the red wires won't be live if I turn off all the electricity in the flat will they?

M x

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cirrus

If you turn all the power off via the main switch (usually red) then the circuit will be dead. As for cost, you are probably looking at a spark taking down existing and fitting your Del boy chandelier for about £30 - £40. Hope that helps.

G

Grae79

need to test the wires to be sure of that tbh, advice given so far's sound.

is not exactly a big job...do you not know anyone who works as an electrician? ask around at work...family....friends....someone's bound to know an electrician, prob get it done for nowt, well a brew and biccy at the least. :D

M

millenniummel

I wish I did know an electrician...I am willing to become friends with an electrician...even willing to date an electrician. Alas have not met any in the two years I have been living in London. I am a midwife, so I tend to just meet babies and doctors.

Shame because I have great taste in tea and biscuits and can bake the most fabulous cakes......

M x

C

Cirrus

What part of London? I am an ex-cockerney in need of feeding up;):)

M

millenniummel

SW17 - Tooting.

I can't promise pie and mash and/or eels though!

M x

C

Cirrus

Not too far from where I was - Surbiton & Raynes Park. Not down that way for a few weeks:(

M

millenniummel

I think I will have a look and see if that earth wire is there. If it is I am confident in my abilities to sort it out. If not I am gonna have to hold on for someone who knows what they are doing?

Thanks for all the advice.

Mel x

M

mdshunk

Okay, okay millenniummel, I feel really bad for you. I'll volunteer my services for free. You just have to do one small thing. Pay for my airfare from Washington, DC. Oh, and pick me up from Heathrow. Maybe take me back to the airport when I'm done. That would be nice. Some tea would be nice too. (you have a ladder I can borrow?)

:D

M

millenniummel

Ha ha, Do you get a lot of damsel in distress frequenting this forum?

M x

S

simonatlondon

hi millenniummel, I live in fulham. private message me if you haven't got the chandelier fitted yet. Simon.

J

jimes

show a picof yourself and i bet most of the members on here would suddenly be making a trip to london!................just stop in your nearest wholesalers and ask any sparks waiting at counter!

jeremy

-
Mentor
Arms

What part of SW London are you in? I will be doing some bits around Fulham and Chelsea tomorrow (Friday 15th) and Saturday. As you had the common sense to ask rather than try yourself, I'll be really gentle with the bill!!

J

jibspark

if i was a bit closer i would do it for about £40 but its a bit far for me, hold on in there as someone is bound to be able to do it for you!

a question for the sparks: would you guys use toggles to fit this or get above and put an extra noggin between the joists? looks pretty heavy!

M

millenniummel

Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for all your replys, I feel so popular. I have been away for a couple of days and wisdom has set in...I do not think it would be wise for me to fit the chandelier with my very limited knowledge of the procedure. I think I should stick to catching babies and let someone who's day job it is fit the chandelier.

For those requesting a picture, will this do?

Many Thanks

Mel x

S

spark-doctor

London here i come :D

S

Spudmiester

Nice Boulders:rolleyes:

Nice lady, kind of her to send a photo, dont you think lads (and lasses) !

G

gt67

very generous - as long as it doesn't prompt you to send one wearing your Borat thong :D

J

jimes

shes wearing flip flops?!.........if you look closely theres water aswell!........if your light isnt fitted by mon morn id be very suprised!...

I am married and dont want date but if you lived in edinburgh i would sort it for you for a cup of tea and a slice of carrot cake x

S

Shakey

Ok lads i am catchng the train to Cornwall

Apparantly thats where the end of the queue is of sparks wanting to do her chandelier (no pun intended:p)

:D

M

millenniummel

Cornwall, lol! You guys are too full of compliments, I am just an ordinary wee gal.

Thanks though!

M x

M

mdshunk

The only thing I want to know is if the rear view of the naked chick in your PhotoBucket album is you or not? If that's you, then the person who hangs your chandelier also needs to take you to dinner. :)

M

montybaber

The only thing I want to know is if the rear view of the naked chick in your PhotoBucket album is you or not? If that's you, then the person who hangs your chandelier also needs to take you to dinner. :)
very arty! :)

J

jimes

wheres the photo bucket?!

W

wayne

this is in danger of becoming the longest thread posted.
put your nuts back in the sack .

M

mdshunk

I'm hanging on until she tells me if we're getting married for sure, or not. :p

W

wayne

shunk , without me going through the posts are you a US qualified spark???

P

PAUL M

Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for all your replys, I feel so popular. I have been away for a couple of days and wisdom has set in...I do not think it would be wise for me to fit the chandelier with my very limited knowledge of the procedure. I think I should stick to catching babies and let someone who's day job it is fit the chandelier.

For those requesting a picture, will this do?

Many Thanks

Mel x
:Dnice rack,,if you get tired of catching babies and want to practise making some:D lol

R

rumrunner

Here is a taste of the great rum runners
Ships that sailed the velvet harbor
Crews that broke the jugs and poured your blood
Like flowing rum upon the sand

Sinking down, down, down
Upon the sand, upon the sea
Upon the hills of liquid green
They rise to fall, they rise again
Their dreams tattered sails in the wind

Here is a wail of a lone flute playing
Those not hanged, by time were slain
Here is a cup of blood and tears
Here is the wail of a hundred years

Going down, down, down

Overnight they turned to water
No blood rang when they went to slaughter
Tears were few, though sighs were heavy
Bones were stacked in the main library

Turning down, down, down
Till their dreams are touching ground
Rising up like gentle rain
They turn to rise and fall again

Running round and changing faces
Marking time and keeping paces
Ducking down awhile to die
Their faces melt to barren sky

After all the trial and fury
They spared the judge and hanged the jury
No one asked the reason why
Sentence passed they turned to die

Turning down, down, down
Till their dreams are touching ground
Rising up like gentle rain
They turn to rise and fall again

Here is fire and bloody slaughter
Written on the leaves of water
Here is a ship with all hands singing
Here is a dock with dark men swinging

Down, down, down

If you get stuck and nobody wants to do it for you ,ill bring my crew in,were based in london,so it shouldnt take to long;) every mermaid needs her pirate,HA HA HA

M

mdshunk

That's really hard to do.

You did see the picture of the chandelier she wants hung, didn't you?

W

wayne

rum ,has the right idea on mermaids ,
so thats the chandlier to be installed., i bow out without disgrace

M

millenniummel

I had no idea that posting that one photo made available the rest of the photos on photobucket!

You lot are cracking me up, are any of you actually single?

Mel x

M

montybaber

I had no idea that posting that one photo made available the rest of the photos on photobucket!

Mel x
You have to be careful :) i've known some very embarassed people on other forums when other 'intimate' photos have been posted on their behalf, theres not much you can do once they have got hold of them..scary really!! your lucky we are a respectfull lot on here ;).

Apparently you can do something on photobucket to stop it, I will look into it and let you know :)

right:) go to account options and set your album to private from public, that should do it i think

P

PAUL M

Mel x
:DI can be anything you want me to be :Dlol

J

jimes

still waiting to see this other pic?!

L

London Luke

Guys.....
many forums get these "girls" posting. trouble is they live in some fantasy land and most tend to me gay men using some pic they have of a girl.They love the attention.

so a girl just happens to hunt out a pro sparks forum. she does not have a male friend who could do this in 30 mins? and then for her first pic its one of her in a Bikini.

O my god you fall for it fast !

M

montybaber

Well he went to a lot of trouble naming all his photobucket files of the mystery woman as me etc...:)

M

millenniummel

Ok I am sorry, I was playing the game a bit. i could have posted a sensible picture of myself. But I am not a man and I am not gay but I do indeed lack a male friend who could do this for me. The other factor is that I am an extremely poor student midwife and the chandelier cost me less than any of the quotes to put it up. I'm beginning to wish I never bought the damn thing as it doesn't look so pretty on my bedroom floor.

All I can offer in return for any help is a fabulous home baked cake or two, friendship, eternal gratitude, a few bargains from my work (Please enable your cookies), midwifery advice and a date if I happen to find you attractive and you aren't married or otherwise engaged.

Sorry if anyone feels I have led them up the garden path.

Mel x

M

montybaber

a few bargains from my work
Would ultrasound be helpful in finding those joists I wonder:)

M

millenniummel

I meant bargains my part time job in the shop Oliver Bonas, the link to the website didn't work www. oliverbonas .com without the spaces.

I get quite a generous discount and therefore if anyone wanted presents for their wife/girlfriend I am sure i could get it for them. Like an exchange and bartering system.

Mel x

P

PAUL M

:)if i lived in london your chandelier would have been up about ten seconds after you posted your pic and you would be lying on ya back admiring it;)lol

S

sparkyork

is this light fitting still not fitted yet!?

how much have you been quoted mel?

M

millenniummel

I have had a very kind offer that someone from here will do it for fifty five, but it is still a bit more than I can afford right now.

I was thinking when I bought it (typical girl) that i could easily put it up myself as I am quite handy round the house (have unblocked drains and changed locks etc). However after all your helpful advice I have come to the conclusion that I should not mess about with electrics, especially with the query about the earth wire.

So it looks like it is destined to sit on my floor until I win the lottery or marry an electrician.

Mel x

S

sparkyork

oh dear, if i was local mel id come and do it for nothing, it would cost me £50 in deisel! whats your budget for your light fitting?

M

millenniummel

Here's the deal;

I could afford 30 pounds plus a homebaked cake (which will be torture for me to bake as I am newly wheat and sugar free and will want to eat the beautiful light spongy sweet lovely cake). Plus if anyone fancied a nice silver necklace from my work for a wife/girlfriend (or me if I become your wife or girlfriend) I could chuck that into the bargain.

Mel x

P

PAUL M

:Dwhy dont you post some more pics from your photo bucket in a last ditch effort to appeal to our good nature:cool::rolleyes:

M

millenniummel

I can see that what is needed here is some photos of my culinary skills. Obviously photos do not demonstate the superb taste and texture of my cakes so if anyone wants to come round for a tasting session you would be most welcome and under no obligation to fit the chandelier.

Love Mel x (who is not playing the game at all ;-) )

Mel......... i gotta give it to you........ your feminine ways are working with the sparkies on here......and yes i'm sure you will have your light fitted and working before your homebaked cake is outta the oven!!

Sexy photo and YOU bake........ you're such a player Mel..............xx

P

PAUL M

I can see that what is needed here is some photos of my culinary skills. Obviously photos do not demonstate the superb taste and texture of my cakes so if anyone wants to come round for a tasting session you would be most welcome and under no obligation to fit the chandelier.

Love Mel x (who is not playing the game at all ;-) )
nice but i was thinking more along the lines of nice succulent buns:p:D

L

London Luke

ok...where in London are you,sounds like Wandsworth /clapham maybe ?
you deserve it just for been a sport.

If i turn up and your name is "Big Jim" etc i will blow your house up ok?:p:p

And i am dating so not looking for nookie >but a cup of coffee and a cake will do

T

tony.towa

Thank God

Well done Luke, someone who is prepared to help out a damsel in distress.
Fair play to you.

Mind you the pictures did look like fairy cakes:eek::eek:

S

sparkyork

ive seen some cracking films where trademan go and do a bit of work!!

M

millenniummel

ok...where in London are you,sounds like Wandsworth /clapham maybe ?
you deserve it just for been a sport.

If i turn up and your name is "Big Jim" etc i will blow your house up ok?:p:p

And i am dating so not looking for nookie >but a cup of coffee and a cake will do
Oh Luke, you are my knight in shining armour! I shall refrain from the 'nookie' but bake a very marvellous cake.

Mel x

R

rumrunner

Hi
Ill come and check hes done it right ,and have his date if he dont want it ,
do you put hash in your cakes ?,l really dig the colours and those little silver balls ,great when one gets the munches,ill bring my Gary Glitter cds,we could make it a party,is shakey there yet?
have fun:)

L

London Luke

Hi
Ill come and check hes done it right ,and have his date if he dont want it ,
do you put hash in your cakes ?,l really dig the colours and those little silver balls ,great when one gets the munches,ill bring my Gary Glitter cds,we could make it a party,is shakey there yet?
have fun:)

Check Ive done it right !!!!!! i think the most expensive lights I have worked on cost the customer more than £600k (£200K a pop )

where about are you in SW LOndon Mel? Need to make sure i will be local soon. The rest of this week i am in Lowndes Square. I think Sunday i am in Clapham area (Working 90% of holiday)

M

millenniummel

Hi Luke,

Did you get my PM? I am in Tooting SW17.

I trust you to put the light up, I don't think there will be need for gary glitter to come round. Although the party sounds fun...

Mel x

M

montybaber

Hi all my fence has collapsed in my garden...:(

Just wondered if I put a pic up of me in a bikini someone will come and do it for me:)

you gotta try!;)

M

millenniummel

Monty - I think I can handle a fence, it isn't live with electricity. Do you want me to come over and give you a hand?

Mel x

B

Bane

Well, everyone else on this site has contributed so I may as well.

Can anyone offer me a job? I have a 48inch chest ;)

M

millenniummel

48DD would be morbidly obese but flat chested. Lets get this into perspective, I am a 32F. The number is the ribcage measurement and the letters are the cup sizes. Anyone who was 48 ribcage would be well past an H cup just with fat alone, never mind breast tissue.

Make sense?

Mel x

G

Grae79

lol.....i know how bra sizes work, but thanks anyway.......:rolleyes:

C

Cirrus

Well, everyone else on this site has contributed so I may as well.

Can anyone offer me a job? I have a 48inch chest ;)
You're just a pup Bane - 50 inch chest and 18's on ma guns;)

M

mdshunk

A bra fitter in Marks and Sparks obviously!

M x
I wonder why women need the help of a bra fitter at the fancy stores, anyhow? A man needs no help selecting his underclothes. I'm pretty sure if a man offered me help sizing my undershorts, he might get a black eye.

B

Bane

50 inch chest cirrus?

According to Mel, you have some pretty impressive moobs (man boobs).

18 inch arms? Bingo wings!

:)

L

London Luke

No earth and solid concrete ceilings !

Must remind myself to take a shotgun next time i drive near "Tooting"
Lets say its "different " !!

J

jimes

didnt turn out to have anything hanging down that shoudnt have been then?!

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Chandelier (which has gone way off topic) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Scolmore Electrical Products
Top Bottom