Discuss change a single socket to a double in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Best prcatice would be to record the zs values at the point of installation, to verify you are leaving it in safe working order, plus any observations like absence of bonding or rcd's can be recorded also. So a MWC would allow for this.. As to wether it is absolutely necessary, I don't think so.

not sure, i would do one anyway, technically you can now put more load on said socket

True, but as the circuit is protected against overload, this is neither here nor there and in any case a double socket is still rated at 13A (not 26)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have said it's not strictly necessary because you're not adding anything to the cct, but issue one if the customer wants one; as per OSG appx 7 (p148)
"[Minor Works Certificate] may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories..."

section 633.1 in Brb explains that any additions or alterations require a Minor works certificate.

I think that means additions or alterations to the cables.

Addition meaning adding another socket etc. and alteration meaning moving something.

A like for like replacement doesn't involve adding or altering anything.

Having said all that, there's nothing stopping you from issuing a MW cert. if you want but I don't think it's required.

Yes but the question is "has the circuit been sufficiently altered (eg relocated) or extended (as in extra sockets added) to warrant a MWC, or can it be argued that it is a 'like for like' replacement considering the BRB doesn't make much differentiation between a single and a double socket outlet?

makes a 10 min job turn into something more worthwhile tho when you can spend another bit of time testing the circuit and writing out MWC, customer is happy cos they got bit of paper that makes it look like the job is worth an hours money!!!

makes a 10 min job turn into something more worthwhile tho when you can spend another bit of time testing the circuit and writing out MWC, customer is happy cos they got bit of paper that makes it look like the job is worth an hours money!!!

Thats just bad crack!!! you are not alltering the wiring in any way a double counts as single on the test sheet when you add up number of points!! you are just ripping folk of to do a test! do a end to end test before connecting the socket and a zs at the end( TAKES ROUGHLY 5 MIN TOPS) if you are really unsure about how your connections are at the socket???? but a would not see the point of a MWC, just for you rip of merchants !!!!! makes me sick 10 min job into a hour for a socket!!!!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

The requirement for inspection and testing is separate from the requirement for certification. Even if a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate were not required for the job this would NOT remove the obligation for verification to take place.

Thats just bad crack!!! you are not alltering the wiring in any way a double counts as single on the test sheet when you add up number of points!! you are just ripping folk of to do a test! do a end to end test before connecting the socket and a zs at the end( TAKES ROUGHLY 5 MIN TOPS) if you are really unsure about how your connections are at the socket???? but a would not see the point of a MWC, just for you rip of merchants !!!!! makes me sick 10 min job into a hour for a socket!!!!:mad:

Inspection and testing is essential.

End to end test proves what ? Continuity only !!!

Any circuit you work on could have reversed polarity at one point and the only way you can prove it is with the 3 step tests.

Cowboys make me sick. Cheapens the trade and your worth. :mad:

I would always fill out a minor works cert to be honest, if not simply to prove that you've done the appropriate testing to ensure the circuit is left safe.

I suppose it's an 'arse-covering' exercise.

And if your customer receives a nasty electric shock shortly after you replace a socket, and sues you, where is your defence if there is no certificate ?

If you've done the required tests to check it's safe anyway, why not make things 'official' by chucking the measurements on a minor works cert ?

Surely your only defence is a proper certificate issued to the customer with you keeping a copy.

Reply to change a single socket to a double in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net