Discuss Change of job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, so for the past 2 years I've been working for a firm which I thought were predominantly industrial ended up being the occasional industrial job, it's mainly been commercial maintenance tbh, and a lot of lay down time sat around. But I've gained my CompEx and had a couple of decent jobs off that. I came into this job from a domestic background and I'll be honest it's been a great job until about 6months ago, when the boss decided to let a new contracts manager come in and now 90% of the work is working away. I've tried the working away and it's not for me with having a young family.
So I've been offered another job, back to mainly doing domestic work, it's pretty much the same money, all work will mostly be in a 20mile radius of my doorstep, should I accept or not, I feel like it maybe a backwards step career wise.
Many thanks.

Agree,

With a young family comes its challenges,

on one hand you have an opportunity of working away lots.

on the other hand you have the opportunity of working locally and being home every night to see the kids and wife and have a happy home life.

Do not underestimate the importance of seeing your children grow up, being there for them for there development.

being a part of a family, is a life long commitment that in my opinion is more important than ANYTHING.

IF you were being offered working away at twice your normal rate, the opportunity to put your family in a better financial position might be tempting enough to take for a period of time.

when you get old and look back on your life choices, will you be happy with the choice to miss your children growing up because you managed to earn 2K more over 4 years, or will you think that £500 a year was nothing compared to the things you missed out on?

If you are good at what you do, you will be able to upgrade your job / earnings when a suitable position becomes available locally.

Best of luck in your career choices.

So I've been offered another job, back to mainly doing domestic work, it's pretty much the same money, all work will mostly be in a 20mile radius of my doorstep, should I accept or not, I feel like it maybe a backwards step career wise.
Many thanks.
Straight answer, domestic work is a backwards step if you have been doing commercial/industrial and have your compex.

Straight answer, domestic work is a backwards step if you have been doing commercial/industrial and have your compex.
Straight response, family is far more important than work. Work to live not live to work. Could see past it if the money was on a different level for working away, but it's not.

Straight response, family is far more important than work. Work to live not live to work. Could see past it if the money was on a different level for working away, but it's not.
I'm on about career side of things if you read my post properly with relation to the quote. Domestic is a step backwards period and also there's work all over the place if your decent so no need to do Domestic leave it to the DI'S the semi skilled race the the bottom brigade.

working away is fine if it’s Good Coin and Rostered. What’s the average working away wage in UK? Lot of blokes do it here for few years earn great money and Then pull the Pin.

Thanks for all your replies guys. A little update...
I ended up deciding to hand my notice in and upon doing this, I was offered my 2391-52 course and with a view of training me up as future QS.... And reassured me it will be local work for me. So retracted my notice.... Thanks again guys.
Now that's the way to do it. Nice one.

Reply to Change of job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net