Discuss Change Old Brass Downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m looking to change some old brass downlights. I was just after some advice. Whether they can be replaced or not. The actual lights are cemented into the ceiling as it’s a loft extension that was done 20 years ago.

I’m just hoping to update them to something more modern if possible.

Attachments

• 4929B15B-D0CA-416C-9DD4-09A818C67B0D.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 1220114E-A7F2-4374-ACB6-A3B5E476A08A.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 20
Probably just paint or a bit of filler you are seeing.
TURN OFF POWER, then.
use a craft knife to break the bond between fitting and ceiling
then pull down firmly
watch out for the springs when you pull it clear of the hole, they hurt if they bash your fingers!!!

I will have a look to see how easy they would be to remove. The springs are lethal. Painting then would not be a bad idea either. It’s s shame that you can’t buy a cover that goes over it to make it a little more modern.

I was about to post a similar thing - before you start find some units the right size and some oversize ones - Toolstation have saved me before after I slipped and lost a chunk of ceiling! That one above looks nice.

These can be handy - hole sizes of 100-150mm for the 3 models.

Thanks for the help and advice. I will have a look at how easy it is to remove the old fitting. As I say it’s too bad that you can’t buy covers.

You can see the 'hinge' of one of the retaining springs in your pic. Push the little coils inwards with the blade of a small screwdriver, and off off the little pegs they sit on.
Springs will fly off, never to be seen again, and the old fitting will fall out once any paint seal is broken.
To land neatly on the terminals of the unenclosed 5amp junction box feeding the lights...? At least that's what would happen if I tried it 😆

Reply to Change Old Brass Downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net