Discuss Change Power Tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m in two minds whether to change my current 18v Dewalt SDS/Combi/Impact. I currently work in the Fire and Security industry. Mainly doing Alarms and CCTV.

I rarely use the Impact, the Combi is okay when it works and the SDS is good. But I’ve found that when I need to put up say a PIR and the wall is solid brick for example the Combi won’t cut it and the SDS is too awkward to use.

The SDS can also be rather cumbersome when putting up a Bell Box or CCTV back box.

So I was thinking of selling it for the Milwaukee 12v SDS and Combi, as the smaller size would be perfect I would imagine. I know that when we do Fire Alarms generally it’s 16mm to 20mm holes for the cables. But I would like some advice. I did used to have the 18v Milwaukee kit but the SDS was rather large and somewhat on the heavy side for the type of work we do.

Im also open to other brands and suggestions.

Drilling fixings with the combi will depend on how hard the brick is.

I find the dewalt extreme masonry bits very good and will work in all but the hardest brick. Often without the need for hammer setting. Cheap from toolstation too.

Drilling fixings with the combi will depend on how hard the brick is.

I find the dewalt extreme masonry bits very good and will work in all but the hardest brick. Often without the need for hammer setting. Cheap from toolstation too.
I have some Bosch Mutimaterial Bits and Milwaukee ones too which are both very good. I may have a look at them.

I have milwaukee 12v and 18v gear. I can say hands down the 12v fuel sds will NOT drill a 16 or 20mm hole. 10mm is around the max it can do for large bolts. If your looking to drill holes in walls is 18v. However, I do find the 12v gear lightweight and very handy especially when carrying it around all day.

for drilling fixings for PIRs and bell boxes etc., I use a £50 Aldi SDS drill - 3 year warranty - - lightweight , does the job. and not too many tears over a £50 losss if dropped off ladder.

for drilling fixings for PIRs and bell boxes etc., I use a £50 Aldi SDS drill - 3 year warranty - - lightweight , does the job. and not too many tears over a £50 losss if dropped off ladder.
I've recently picked one up myself to try as I lack an SDS. Trying to work out the 4th mode; drill, hammer, chisel and ?? - lockable position chuck; variolock on Milwaukee terms, allowing you to angle a chisel and lock it in place?

I have milwaukee 12v and 18v gear. I can say hands down the 12v fuel sds will NOT drill a 16 or 20mm hole. 10mm is around the max it can do for large bolts. If your looking to drill holes in walls is 18v. However, I do find the 12v gear lightweight and very handy especially when carrying it around all day.

That’s good to know. I may look at getting the 12v as it maybe better for everyday and then just buy a cheap 18v SDS for when I need to drill the bigger holes.

Its really down to the impact rating (Joule) of any SDS to know how good it is, anything below five Joules will just tickle an engineering brick or concrete, my old Titan at eight Joules goes through anything, but you can't use it above ground its far too heavy, so look at the Joule rating and get as high a rating as you can balanced against the weight.

Its really down to the impact rating (Joule) of any SDS to know how good it is, anything below five Joules will just tickle an engineering brick or concrete, my old Titan at eight Joules goes through anything, but you can't use it above ground its far too heavy, so look at the Joule rating and get as high a rating as you can balanced against the weight.

Thanks Mike. I think my Dewalt is something like 2.1J or something so it’s not massively powerful.

This is the kit I have:

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/dewal...rc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

I also have a Hitachi at 3.2J which will not touch an engineering brick or well compacted concrete, as in a pre-cast concrete lintel above a door, you also have to take into account the inconvenience of a cable against the additional weight of a battery drill, to get mains power from a battery SDS you are probably talking about at least a 36volt model, back comes the weight issue.

I like the Dewalt range, I have both 10.8 and 18 volt kits but I have used the Flexvolt 54 kit and it is just as good as mains powered. My SDS is the DCH253 and I find it light enough and powerful enough to bang holes in pretty much anything, as mentioned bit selection is key. I tend to use Bosch, Dewalt & Makita as they give me the best results.

I also have a mains SDS Max for banging in electrodes and harder materials but TBH I rarely use it.

I won a Milwaukee Combi and Impact set a couple of years ago and I have to say, I don't like it. It stays in the garage and only comes out if I need an additional tool, i.e. multiple operations to save me swapping bits around all the time.

I use a Makita 12V a lot, which punches well above its weight, but wouldn't even attempt larger holes with it. Think Makita rate it as Max 16mm in concrete and 10mm in steel, but I'd be reaching for its big brother before then.

I use a Makita 12V a lot, which punches well above its weight, but wouldn't even attempt larger holes with it. Think Makita rate it as Max 16mm in concrete and 10mm in steel, but I'd be reaching for its big brother before then.
Same here I usually only use mine for plugs or at the most a 10mm thunderbolt. Anything over that is pushing it too hard.

Same here I usually only use mine for plugs or at the most a 10mm thunderbolt. Anything over that is pushing it too hard.

I did once spend a few days testing 12V capabilities when previous 18V SDS died and was amazed at how far it could be pushed, although I definitely shortened its lifespan during those few days. What probably saved it from certain death was a not having 'hammer only' function.

I use Multimaterial Bits, I’ve got some Bosch and Milwaukee ones for the Combi. I use Dewalt or Milwaukee for the SDS. They seem to be okay. I suppose I could renew them if anyone has any suggestions mainly use a 5.5mm bit for Red Plugs.

I do like the idea of smaller lighter tools.

Reply to Change Power Tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net