Discuss change/upgrade solar pv system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

solargenerator

I have a solar pv system whixh is 2 years old.

My setup is over two roofs east/south due to roof configuration.

3kw with aurora outd 3.6 using the twin mppt inputs. 13 x romag 235w. 9 x east, 4 x south with the 4 south paired up with to on the east to give give enough voltage for the twin mppt.

Installed before any type of power optimiser were readily available

Question is can i have my system altered with say the solaredge optimisers op (to use a solar edge inveretor) or opa (to keep my invertor) range without it affecting my FIT payments.
I am sure the optimisers will increase my yearly output due to he shading issues i have early morning, afternoon and the configuration of the panels to enable the use of the twin mppt.

Many thanks in advance. Andy.

Yes, I believe you can change inverters without it affecting the FiT side of things.

I'm not sure about the logic of switching to Solar Edge from a financial viewpoint. You'd need to remove all the panels to fix optimisers to the rails. If this needs scaffolding, you're looking at extra expense. You'd also need a Solar Edge inverter so that would need to replace your Power One. You're looking at close to £2k I reckon. The increase in output would be small in relation to the outlay.

my original sap was 2400, my actual 2 year average is 1815.

i have a major shading issue early morning and the 4 south panels are in the 2nd string with 2 east panels.
the power optimisers should negate alot of my problems and the upgrade cost could be lower than your suggested £2000 if i can configure to use my original auroa outd 3.6 invertor.

13 x 235w panels = 3055w.

We would have specified the 3.0 rather than 3.6 model if using Power One Aurora.

It sounds like your installer may have over-estimated the SAP calculation by under-estimating the extent of the shading.

Why not get the installer back and complain that your system is under-performing by 25%?

According to the datasheet for these inverters, on the 3.0 the Max. Recommended DC Power [kW] = 3.5

(For the 3.6, you can go up to 4.15.)

Others have more experience with Power Ones so I'm sure they will give their views in due course. Especially as you're in the north, I'd prefer to undersize than oversize the inverter

Whinmoor thanks for your comments.

do you know what the max recommended is for only one of the mppt inputs to be used are?
quessing its half of the 4.15 you say the 3.6 can max input?

Have a play with the Power One String Tool: Power-One Aurora Stringsizer?

You might pick something up which will come in handy when discussing it with your installer. Romag 235s are on there.

You can have unbalanced strings - you have to with 13 panels. But, 7+6 or 8+5 would be more logical than 9+4 from the inverter's point of view. It may be necessary to lower the activation voltage on the smaller string to ensure the inverter kicks into life at all. Did the installer do that?

Max dc on one input of the 3.6kW inverter is 3kW.
You will find it on the UK data sheet in the downloads section of the Power One link in post #10

"with the 4 south paired up with to on the east to give give enough voltage for the twin mppt."

If "to" means "two", that seems like dodgy system design.

i have 7 + 6, the 6 is 4 south with 2 of the east.

smaller string is set to 120 startup.

no figuired that one myself after reading the manual and checking the invertor settings.

my generation outputs are on pvoutput. Andy1.
you can see from the summer graphs how the early morning sun is affected and then how ouput is lowering after midday.

reply #13.
yes the 4 south with the 2 east does greatly effect my output hence the "looking at solaredge optimisers"

- - - Updated - - -

reply #14.
power one optimisers £££££

Dodgy system design. The split orientations will drag each other down - that will be the main reason it's underperforming. I would recommend getting the installer back to redesign the whole lot. Probably need to get on roof and re-connect several of the panels. Get them to downsize the inverter at the same time.

great example of my early morning losses is 04/05/11 on pvoutput. Andy1

shows the early morning shading then the quick tail off of generation after midday.

Reply to change/upgrade solar pv system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net