Discuss Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

justjust1

Hi all,

I am just finishing my Level 3 City and Guilds level 3.

I am going to replace an old re-wire-able fuse type CCU with a dual RCD CCU. When replacing a CCU in the past i have just removed the main head fuse to disconnect the supply going to the CCU.

But someone at my collage has mentioned that you are supposed to contact the supplier and they will send someone out to do it? This seems a bit pointless as they will then have to re-connect after i have finished?

Can someone clarify?

Also if i can just remove the main head fuse, where would i get the wire which goes in to stop people removing the fuse? And what is it called?

Thanks

Justjust1

It is actually a criminal offence for you to tamper with the suppliers equipment, and yes it is something that you should contact the supplier to arrange.

So if thats the case then how can i isolate the supply to replace a CCU in the future.

Im not talking about changing the fuse just pulling it out for new install of CCU!

Officially, have the Supplier come and remove the fuse for you. Whilst it is out, install a cutout in the tails before the CCU. Then have the Supplier come back and reinstall the fuse + reseal it.

Officially, have the Supplier come and remove the fuse for you. Whilst it is out, install a cutout in the tails before the CCU. Then have the Supplier come back and reinstall the fuse + reseal it.

Yeah, this sounds like a good idea! What type of cutout switch would you recommend? Any idea how much they would charge to remove the fuse?

I have to say though as a newly trained electrician, this seems all very time consuming especially if it will end up costing me money! I am perfectly capable of removing a fuse!

1)One of these in an enclosure.
2)Charges vary
3)Welcome to business

If there is room by the tails I normally turn off the board, cut the tails and insert a couple of 100A blocks

Last edited:
Yeah just don't lick them. (I do not recommend this method to anyone else)

Hahahaha brilliant!!!!

BTW, just had a chat with southern electric about taking the head fuse out. They said i quote "As long as the meter is not tampered with it will not be a problem"

Hmmmmm might get this in writing!!!

Mmmm thought so! Any recorded cases of Suppliers getting funny and all legally about it?

Can you imagine everytime a rewire was being done having to call the DNO out to pull a main fuse. We're qualified sparks ffs, probably more experienced than any jim, bob or Harry the DNO send and thatt would be another £150-£200 to get Jim , Bob or Harry out!

Can you imagine everytime a rewire was being done having to call the DNO out to pull a main fuse. We're qualified sparks ffs, probably more experienced than any jim, bob or Harry the DNO send and thatt would be another £150-£200 to get Jim , Bob or Harry out!

My point entirely! Just want to cover my own back!!! Any idea what the cable they use to seal the main fuse is called, might buy some of them and seal it myself!!!

Reply to Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net