Discuss Changing a bulb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

2jonnies

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I need to change the bulb in the attached light but I have no idea how to remove it from the ceiling. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks in advanceimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That LED lamp looks like it is integrated in the fitting and can't be replaced separately. You may be able to carefully pull the entire unit out of the ceiling for a closer look.

toremove fitting, 2 flat blade screwdrivers , on eithr side and prise down. carefull not to damage ceiling.when you have some clearance ,pull out but watch for the mousetrap springs.

Make sure the circuit is turned of at your consumer unit. Wiggle a finger each side of the fitting and pull down, there may be a quite a bit of resistance, watch for the sprung levers that hold it in position as some can spring back and really get your fingers, they hurt, a lot...

You should then be able to see the manufacturers information somewhere on the fitting.

What I find worse is when the spring flings itself off the light and throws itself across the inside of the ceiling until it meets a joist just out of reach of the hole, you then have to search around in the bin/shed for the spare springs you bought just in case.

Last edited:
Hopefully the OP will respond unless their fingers are now bandaged up and unable to type...

It's an integrated fitting. Does anyone want to explain to this user why they think integrated are better then gu10 fittings? And how rather than changing a lamp they now have to change this fitting?
gives his missus an excuse to make him change them all out, redecorate the room, walk the children and put the dog to bed. something to do till corona is done with.

It's an integrated fitting. Does anyone want to explain to this user why they think integrated are better then gu10 fittings? And how rather than changing a lamp they now have to change this fitting?
This is one of my pet hates about new LED light accessories, mostly they are now throw-away as no replaceable lamp :(

I had to accept that for my bathroom as I could not find any IP55 lights that would replace the old R63 sized ones with replaceable lamps, but from an environmental (and future fixing) point of view it is unforgivable.

Guys thank you all for you responses, I’ve yet to try and pull the thing out and I’m afraid that is one of around 30 we have in the house, there were installed by the precious owners! It’s on my list to do this weekend, I’ll let you know.

And I don’t think I’ll mention the redocrating thing quite yet!!

Guys thank you all for you responses, I’ve yet to try and pull the thing out and I’m afraid that is one of around 30 we have in the house, there were installed by the precious owners! It’s on my list to do this weekend, I’ll let you know.

And I don’t think I’ll mention the redocrating thing quite yet!!
if you have any of these upstairs, you can pop up into the attic and see how the springs hold the fitting in.

Reply to Changing a bulb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net