Discuss Changing a dimmer switch to a normal switch - help needed please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
IMG_20171005_121816204.jpg IMG_20171005_121736164.jpg IMG_20171005_121816204.jpg IMG_20171005_121736164.jpg IMG_20171005_121849492_HDR.jpg
Good afternoon,

I bought a switch from my local electrical shop with the intention of swap it for the dimmer switch. Having taken the unit apart I have found four wires going into the existing dimmer switch. One black, one grey and two brown. Question is where do I connect the four wires to on the new switch. I hope the photos help.

Thanks in advance

need a clearer pic #3. with the white plastic cover removed. isolate supply first.

Is the light that is controlled with the dimmer switch also operated by another switch some where else. I.E two way switching?

Right, the brown and grey in the same terminal want to go in COM on new switch, the single brown to 1, single black to 2. Obviously isolate power first, and check its dead

Right, the brown and grey in the same terminal want to go in COM on new switch, the single brown to 1, single black to 2. Obviously isolate power first, and check its dead

Unless the brown and grey cores in the same terminal are taking power to two lights (or a light and something else needing a switched line) then that is unlikely to be correct. OP, I'd suggest following Tel's advice and get an electrician in.

Sorry Persephone, this is a request for a step by step guide which we don't allow.

It's not possible for anyone to decypher that wiring with 100% certainty and you're not going to be able to give enough info without having test equipment and the skill to use it.

I'd suggest in the interest of safety please get an electrician in, it will probably take 20 mins to sort out so shouldn't be too expensive.

Reply to Changing a dimmer switch to a normal switch - help needed please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net